Thread: Finishing room size?

Finishing room size?

whats the size of your finishing room, and how do you have it set up? fans lights? racks? windows? heat? pics would be nice to see as well. thanks for your response's..

Next spring i will have one
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I just built something that resembles a 6' wide open face booth. Fan is from Grainger, but I bought it off Ebay. It has a TEFC, but not an explosion proof motor. It is switched outside the booth. For lighting I have 3 4' fixtures with high CRI bulbs. Its not enough light and when we replace the track lighting in our kitchen I'm going to use some of the old fixtures to add more light. One light is mounted on the ceiling and one on each side wall.

Larry, you already saw my finishing room, albeit, it now doubles as a weight training room. I generally squirt water borne finishes, so an explosion-proof motor wasn't a requisite, though wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm just using a squirrel cage fan in one of the windows. And, I couldn't agree more with Matt's assesment regarding lighting; Just never seems to be enough of it so, plan on "overkill" and you might just have enough!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

One simple example

Larry,

This is my version of the finishing room. It is 12' X 15', with some kitchen cabinets from a garage sale, some display shelves to store "stuff", two 8-foot T-8 fixtures, a turntable to make it easier to spray projects, a 2,200 CFM tube-axial explosion-proof exhaust fan purchased from Grainger (I spray waterborne finishes only), and a "booth" made of foam insulation. You can view the entire thread here. It is very nice to just walk in and five minutes later be spraying to my heart's content .

Edit to add:
    The room is heated by the central A/C and heating systems - both are electrical. I have no windows in the finishing room.

Let us know how your planning is coming along between now and implementation.

Al

Last edited by Al Navas; 10-18-2006 at 9:02 PM.

Al, your finishing room makes me envious every time I see it

A fine job you did planning your shop and I'm looking forward to the day when I can accomodate such a location.

I use the great outdoors myself currently, and hope for the best with quick dry finishes.

mike

I don't have any pics, but we added a finishing room to our shop a couple of years ago, and it's 12x20'. One door to the outside and a door that closes between shop and finish room. We were tired of having to shut down all other work to try to finish stuff in the shop. We have our HVLP setup in there, with one workbench and shelves underneath to store finishes, a wall-mounted rack for lacquer thinner (5-gal. bucket) that tips to pour the lacquer into a smaller container. We also have some shelving to store some of my craft-fair stock, and a set of closed cabinets to store the maple plaque blanks (we supply the NM State Fair every year). We put down that 2x2' interlocking rubber matting on the floor. We have an exhaust fan to the outside, two skylights and 3 4' fluorescents for night work.

Jealous yet?

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Jealous yet?

Nancy[/QUOTE]

YUP between Al's and what you have desribed. maybe i should just send the finishing work over to you folks and get all the raves from your work naww i will come up with something your to far away and the folks that know me would tell the differnce,, there used to seeing scratches and dings and blotchy stain jobs and runs and drips.. have to play with sketup for some planing soon. thansk for the replys

Thanks, Mike. I just know you will have one soon, and THAT will be pretty cool!

Nancy, I would love to see some photos of your finishing room - it sounds terrific! I should have put in a large access door from the outside, but decided against it because I thought it would become another source of dust and other ugly things on the finish. There is a double 6-foot door between the main shop area and the finishing room, which allows movement of big pieces in and out.

Larry, it will be wonderful to follow your process as you get closer to building something.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas

Nancy, I would love to see some photos of your finishing room - it sounds terrific!

Al
    Thanks, Al. It is pretty terrific. I'll try to get some pics and get them posted. Since I have a "day job", it will probably have to wait until the weekend, to get the full effect of the skylights.

One thing I forgot to mention is that we don't have a dedicated "place" to put stuff that needs to be finished. We have two fold-up tables (for which LOML built the tops to fit), and we made fitted cardboard covers for them. We put smaller stuff on the tables, and if we have large pieces, the tables can fold up and go into the corner.

Mike and Larry, your days are coming!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Mine is 10'x12' with double doors going to the main shop. I only plan on spraying waterbased finishes so I have a Dayton (from Grainger) fan to the outside. I also put a 14"x20" opening to the main shop with furnacefilters on both sides to pull air into the room. For lights I have two 8' flourecent fixtures with 2 C50 bulbs each. My fuji sprayer is located outside the room with switched power in the room.

paul your size sounds doable, i am not using waterborne finish yet still from the old school. but i can invison your setup i am limited to size and i need other uses for the area to be addes as well but in my head ithink i could work it in. had intended to use double doors as well. do you find they are useful or just a normal 3 ftr sufficient? i will have a space before entering the finish room in my plan thus far. so the entrance to the shop addition could be either double or single and the door to the finish room can be either as well. looking at a 24x36 addition w the 24 being extended from the existing shop so i could have 12 of that for finish room and the other 12 for access to the rest of the addition..thansk for the suggestions folks now i need the ship to come in

I do like the double doors since I also use this room for assembly as well it allows me to roll stuff in and out easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinneberg
    I do like the double doors since I also use this room for assembly as well it allows me to roll stuff in and out easier.
    That is exactly the reason we also put in the double doors, Larry. The last thing you want do is fight getting large stuff in and out of the finishing room after spending so much time getting it built .

Al