Thread: "Home" made mallet

"Home" made mallet

Hey all,

I scrounged some scrap materials from the recycle bins at work and came up with 3 of these mallets. The head is bronze and about 1 1/4" diameter by 2" long while the handle is a piece of titanium and about 3" long. The overal 5" length fits my small to average size hand quite well. The 2 parts are press fitted together, no threads, screws or bolts to come loose.

After assembling the first one I bored out the center of the handles on the next 2 to make the head a feel bit heavier but all three have sufficient heft for carving/chopping operations. The 2 with the bored handles weigh ~18oz and the third is ~19 oz. Not a big differance.

I machined 2 flats on each head, 90 deg. apart for 2 reasons. First, it gives me a place to rest my thumb and reference the other flat if i want to strike a chisel that way. As you know, most chisels have rounded handles and striking one with a rounded mallet can cause glancing blows and the flat helps avoid that. The second reason is it'll keep the mallet from rolling off the bench and onto my foot. DAMHIKT!

All in all, i'm happy

Thanks for looking!

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

WOW!! I like! Very unique, and looks to be very useful. So how big was the bruise on your foot? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    That is sooo cool! I have been trying to talk my self out of paying $30 or so for a nice chisel mallet. No scrap titanium where I work so I may have to go commercial. Once again, very nice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Really a classy looking tool! Is that cypress it is sitting on?

Thanks gys!

Jim, it wasn't too big a bruise but big enough to make sure it wouldn't happen again!

Ted, actually it's ash, not cypress. I need to work a bit on my color correction for these shop photos...

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Wow, looks great. Learn somethin' new every day.
    (wish I worked where there was left over titanium and brass....sheesh)

Very cool.

Brian,

Three words.

I want one.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence