Thread: Corner Cupboard in progress pics

Corner Cupboard in progress pics

I started a corner cupboard (along with My dad and brothers each doing one) back in January. Since then, it has been taking up space in my shop so a few weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and finish it. I'm in the home stretch- All I have left is to fit the hardware, cut and install the glass, finish sanding, and apply finish.

The wood is walnut (primary) and cyprus (secondary). Hardware is on order from Londonderry and Ball and Ball (waiting for the packages). Regarding finish, I'm planning to dye it, then tung oil, then sprayed shellac.

I'd be interested in your comments or thoughts. I promise I'll post completed pictures when I'm done. Hopefully that will be in the next week or so.

You can look at this thread to see what I'm hoping it will look like: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37237

I had a terrifying moment a few nights ago- I was working on the doors and I needed to get the case out of my way. So, since it was together (it's in two pieces), I slid it near the garage door (it was down at the time). Anyway, the phone rang and I went into the house to get it. About 30 seconds after I left the shop, I heard a CRASH!

Horrified, I went out the garage to see that my wife had returned home and hit the button to raise the garage door. It pushed the upper case over and on to my jointer and then the floor.

I was afraid to look- I slowly picked up the case and to my surprise, there were only three small dings in the middle shelves. Evidently the fall was cushioned by a stack of empty boxes (with bubble wrap!) beside my jointer that my wife had put there for the trash. That took the brunt of the impact. The few dings came from where the shelves rested up on the jointer.

What luck! I'll try to remember that when I feel like complaining about my wife's boxes in the shop. By the way, they're still there, just in case it happens again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 10-19-2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Looks great Ernie, I noticed the square pegs on the top section, are the decorative additions or are theyyour pinning method?

Very nice Ernie. Please do post completed pics. I love walnut and that should be striking when finished.

corey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oliphant
    Looks great Ernie, I noticed the square pegs on the top section, are the decorative additions or are theyyour pinning method?
    It's a pegged mortise and tenon joint.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Great job...Good pics...Pls post pics when finished. Love to see the Walnut come to life..Thanks
    Jerry

Looks awesone Ernie - can't wait to see it finished. Mind if I ask how you made the window mulions (sp?). I need to make some for a project I am working on and am having a bit of difficulty sorting out how to do it and yours look fantastic.

L

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox
    Looks awesone Ernie - can't wait to see it finished. Mind if I ask how you made the window mulions (sp?). I need to make some for a project I am working on and am having a bit of difficulty sorting out how to do it and yours look fantastic.

L
    Larry:

It is put together with mortise and tenon joints. I looked for some pictures that I took during construction- hopefully these will be helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 10-19-2006 at 1:18 AM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

That looks awesome..looks like a lot of work..but somehting that would surely be a heirloom one day..

hi ernie
    great piece. love seeing your work. I have built glass doors, but not super happy with the shaper tooling because it does not give a long tennon. it looks like your muttuns have long tennons. how to you cope them ? what shaper tooling are you using.

lou

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hobbs
    Larry:

It is put together with mortise and tenon joints. I looked for some pictures that I took during construction- hopefully these will be helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Definitely helps - thanks Ernie. Again, very nice looking piece you are creating there. Can't wait to see it complete.

Looking good Ernie. The finish and hardware will make the piece very striking. Maybe when you are done, we can go help Matt get his finished.

These cupboards have been a worthwhile undertaking this year, and have been fun to build together. Have you given any more thought to next year's project?

Later, Cal

That looks awfully nice. I suspect there are a few hundred of us that wouldn't have thought about the garage door...

KC

Great job. It will look nice in your dining room. I guess I should post my pictures, too. Since I finished mine in July, we have been enjoying it. It is very satisfying to copy such a fine piece of furniture that was made about 5 miles from here with walnut cut within in a mile of the piece and with local cypress. Looking forward to seeing the completed cupboard. Ben

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You guys related .
    Looks like the Hobbs family reunion when you scan the thread??

PS Very nice project Ernie. Well Done.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Whoa dude, looks like you need to start over. I'll take that "practice" peice off your hands....I mean its all dinged and stuff...jc

Looks great man, can't wait to see the completed pics.