Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about mortisers! Please

I'm looking at getting a mortiser but was wondering whether one mortiser was sturdier than another. For example, the delta appears to have a heaver cast iron construction then the Jet and really looks to be sturdier than the Shop Fox. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

Has anyone use this one from wilke

It looks like it has a built in XY vise and a lot of access around the chuck. I checked and it is 229 + shipping. Looks like a real nice unit for the money, just haven't heard much about it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine
    She Who Must Be Obeyed has decided my next project is going to be making several mission style end tables with lots and lots of tenons and mortises. I have a very hard time doing these mortises with hand tools - just don't have the coordination for it.

I've seen photos of some of the various bench top mortisers but have not seen them in use or in person. I see that the drill portion cleans out the center and the chisel portion squares off the opening. How does the chisel get its thrust? Just the downward pressure from your arm? Is it really this simple?

Any recommendations for shall home shop use?
    Jim:
    American Woodworker Magazine just came out with an excellent review on bench top mortisers. I think you will find itenlighteningg. Ipersonallyy have the Shop Fox and like it very much. Have fun tool shoppingg.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

although you have asked about bench top units, I wanted to offer up my suggestion of a unit that I own and really find to be very good. the cost is really not that much more in the long run and it seems to be a very well made unit for the price. The x/y feature is really quite nice.

I believe it is the 719 model

best wishes
    lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,
    There's an American Machinery #25 for sale on New Hampshire's C-List for five hundred bucks from a couple days ago. No motor, but the rest looks like a real gem in the photo, including a full set of chisels. If you can move it, you would own a real piece of woodworking history. I already have an old Wysong mortiser, otherwise I'd have spoken for it.

I have the Delta 14-651. Nice machine, very capable. However........ I would seriously advise you to consider Lou's advice. "Wink.wink. Nudge nudge. Know what I mean"

Lou and I have the same one. It's a HUGE difference...

KC

Here is what I have been thinking about that appears to be much better than a basic tabletop but cost much less than the Powermatic 719. It is just over $600 and they are wating for another shipment at this time.

Any thoughts about this unit?

http://www.leneavesupply.com/Machine...te/P04013.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images