Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about mortisers! Please

Question Tell me about mortisers! Please

She Who Must Be Obeyed has decided my next project is going to be making several mission style end tables with lots and lots of tenons and mortises. I have a very hard time doing these mortises with hand tools - just don't have the coordination for it.

I've seen photos of some of the various bench top mortisers but have not seen them in use or in person. I see that the drill portion cleans out the center and the chisel portion squares off the opening. How does the chisel get its thrust? Just the downward pressure from your arm? Is it really this simple?

Any recommendations for shall home shop use?

Yup, an Armstrong Mortiser

Yes, but consider, the chisel is only cleaning out corners, the auger has removed the bulk of the wood. I use a drill press mortising attachment which has less mechanical advantage (shorter lever arm) than a dedicated mortiser and it still is no problem. Just keep the chisel sharp.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Jim - I've got a delta bench top model. Not sure how far away you are, but you're more than welcome to stop by and take it for a "chop test".
    Only the Blue Roads

I recently got the Delta 14-651 benchtop mortiser and it's great. I've been cutting mortises in Mesquite for a table and chairs and it really does a good job...much faster than hand chopping them.

IIRC, it was $204 at Amazon. There was a discount and free shipping.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Shop Fox

I've had the Shop Fox for a few years and used it quite a bit. I'm completely satisfied with it. I put an x/y vise on it and that makes all the difference over the normal system. There are probably some new/redesigned machines around since I bought, maybe with the x/y type system already incorported.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Jim - I've got a delta bench top model. Not sure how far away you are, but you're more than welcome to stop by and take it for a "chop test".
    Thanks Andy but I'm down in Arundel in York County. We have a new Lowe's opening this weekend and I just might see if they are having any good sales.!

Gary, what is an X-Y vise?

Table Top Mortiser

I bought the General 1/2 HP (non-tilting) about a year ago and absolutely love it. I had originally bought the Fisch but returned it. The Delta looked good also. They all do the same basic function, so look at how the fence/table adjusts to see which one you really like. Here's a pic of the first project I built with my benchtop mortiser:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1143645564

Last edited by Scott Vigder; 10-20-2006 at 4:16 PM.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Make sure the mortiser you get has enough depth of cut for whatever you're doing. I do a lot of Mission stuff, and I upgraded to the Powermatic floor model because my JET benchtop wouldn't let me cut mortises in a 'tall' piece, as in the upper sides of a table with a drawer. It's a spendy step up, but one you'll never regret. I've used (and hated!) the drill press attachment, but that would also allow for cuts in taller pieces of stock.

Does the Delta have more depth than the JET? The picture in the post above mine looks like something I couldn't do with my JET. Maybe I just convinced myself I couldn't use it.

KC
    Last edited by Kirk (KC) Constable; 10-20-2006 at 2:14 PM.

Jim, I have one of the Delta benchtop models, as well, and have been very happy with it. Previously had a mortising attachment for the DP... did a great job but tested my short patience when it came to set-up. I will tell you that the two words that come to mind when I think of the job my Delta does are "like butter" but I echo others regarding keeping the chisels sharp/

Enjoy!

I also have the Delta 14-651 bench top model, it works great. Got mine from Tyler Tool. Came with decent chisels and the extention block for use on thicker stock. One thing I really like about the delta is the head can be turned around 180 to use on long stuff held vertically.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Bench top mortiser

I have a Fisch
    Have been working on 10 windows made out of Sassafras
    The determining factor in this construction is the length of the chisel/bit.
    For 1/4 and 5/16 - length is 1-7/8"
    For 3/8 and 1/2 - length is 3"
    The other determining factor is the height of the hold down fingers, mine is about 3-1/2 inches but:
    I modified my Fisch with a Rockler table, which is a little thicker than the original Fisch table.

Best Regards
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

12. The cream of the Benchtop crop is, I think, the General International with better features and heavier castings than the comprable Powermatic.

I prefer slot mortisers and loose tenons.

Mortisers are not expensive but condisering that all they do is make snazzy holes they aren't cheap either.

Have you considered doing them the old fashioned way??

I have the Jet and it performs fine. You need good quality, sharp bit to perform well. They are convenient esp when doing a bunch of mortises..
    Jerry

For any of the square chisel mortisers, be sure to pick up the honing stones to keep them sharp...and make them sharp initially. Lee Valley is where I got mine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hoemann
    There are probably some new/redesigned machines around since I bought, maybe with the x/y type system already incorported.
    They've been around for a tad over a hundred years. That's a real mortiser. Without a stop system and the x-y motion you simply can't do mortises at any speed. The idea is that yuo mark-out the first mortise on the first bit of wood, set-up your machine stops on that one and thereafet you don't need to mark the rest as they'll be identical. For joinery work there isn't a viable alternative.

Scrit
    Last edited by Phil Pritchard; 10-20-2006 at 7:16 PM.