Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable height bench plans?

Adjustable height bench plans?

I'm designing an adjustable height bench/stand and would like to peruse some plans involving a ratcheting mechanism. I've got some preliminary drawings, but am doubtful of the effectiveness of my designs..

I've seen some sort of mechanism made of wood involving a sort of ratchet/pawl design that looked very easy to build. Problem is I can't find it in all my books... Or on the internet.... or on woodworking sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

The only ratcheting system I've seen is the one on my Adjust-A-Bench from Geoffrey Noden. I don't recall any plans coming in front of my eyes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's definitely the idea there...

I've seen a similar idea only homemade, in wood, and that's what I'm looking for.. I just need a clear shot of the mechanism.

Don't you like that Noden Bench though? Didja see the video clip where he piled 1600 pounds on it? Darn Maple top was sagging....

(But that's a bit overkill for what I have in mind.... )

Jim,
    Try this:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...assembly+table

Look for post #14 by Alan Schaffter.

It's on my "would like to build list".

Hope that helps,
    -Mike

The Noden setup is outstanding. And for me, essential as my bench needs to be "multi-purpose" for both assembly and hand-tool work. Different heights make the work so much more comfortable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The link to Alan's bench should definitely not be taken as anything negative towards the Noden Adjust-A-Bench.

The Noden is a sweet setup, but definitely pricier than a home-grown version.

In either case, an adjustable bench would be great for a lot of things.

-Mike

I haven't seen the Noden AAB before. That is interesting.

Here is another option. I don't know about price and I imagine it doesn't give the same height range and the Noden but it will lift the table in a level attitude by the turn of a crank or it can be motorized. Sorry, not a ratcheting mechanism either.

http://www.suspa-inc.com/products/ergonomic.htm

Those notched adjustable legs were exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I want to make a stand using a similar concept in plywood. The only difference is that I'd like the whole thing to move at once rather than four independent adjustments. (Of course for folks who are at craftshows on uneven ground, this might be just the ticket.)

I saw a board jack on a work bench in "The Workbench Book", but didn't really study it at the time. These look like they are similar in design..

If anyone has any other ideas in a similar vein post it here....

And man... do you think that guy in the ad for the gas shock legs ever gets tired?
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-23-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood
    Those notched adjustable legs were exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I want to make a stand using a similar concept in plywood. The only difference is that I'd like the whole thing to move at once rather than four independent adjustments. (Of course for folks who are at craftshows on uneven ground, this might be just the ticket.)
    While all four aren't done as one, Alan used a cable that attaches to two legs to adjust each end of the bench as one. (The pices are either linked from that post or on NC Woodworker's forum).

Actually, the more I think about it, if you use a thin cable from the hardware, through an eye just under the bench top, you could conceivably run those all back to a single point from which you could pull.

The trick would be to lift the entire bench at the same time....

I think that lifting the bench to adjust it all at once will be the toughest challenge.

At that point, the hydraulic table from Harbor Freight (there are others that are much nicer and more $$) might be worth considering? (depending on intended use)

Anyway, more food for thought.

-Mike

Think smaller... as in a small stand, rather than a huge bench.

I don't want to lift a huge bench, just a plywood stand, so that turners of varying heights can use a mini-lathe in comfort.

You didn't say this was for a lathe. Maybe you could find an old barber chair and use the hydraulics in it for the lift.

No I didn't say that it was for a lathe stand, but then it's not for a large lathe either, it's for small lathe. One that you could tote to a meeting or a craft show. I don't think I need hydraulics for this size stand.

The other thing I did not say (but I thought was implied) was that I want to make the adjustment mechanism. I would rather not spend money on adjusting mechanisms. If I can make the whole shebang out of plywood, so much the better. I also would like repeatability because I plan to make several of these.

Sorry if I've been unclear in my request, but I was having a real difficult time even framing the question:

Homemade bench/stand adjuster ratchety/pawl thingie mechanism information plan type stuff....

Yeah.. one a those...

Its not a ratchet, too simple for that.... Back when I started teaching at the school where I retired, the shop came equiped with benches for both Highschool students and the Junior High student we taught, The older students needed a taller bench than the younger students and so the old previous teachers had constructed benches with two heights and easily adjustable.
    adjustable work bench.jpg

They were simply legs with a two piece top stretcher that was hinged. A dowel was in the lid that matched peg holes in the stretchers. For tall students the stretcher was flipped u and the lid dowel set in place, for shor students the lid was again lifted the stretcher was folded down and the dowel inserted in the lower stretcher. simple but practical.

The benches were not large, perhaps 18" deep and 48" long. I think the stretchers were 4" thick allowing for 4" variance in height (enough to allow short students to work safely and taller students also.

Thanks Bill,

There's another idea. I like it, very simple... I'll have to let these simmer for a while longer I guess.

For the time being I'm making 4 different height stands...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Noden setup is outstanding. And for me, essential as my bench needs to be "multi-purpose" for both assembly and hand-tool work. Different heights make the work so much more comfortable.
    Jim is it good and stable for hand planing??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/