Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block Plane recommendation

Block Plane recommendation

I am mainly a "Normite" type/hobbyist woodworker.
    Have the usual assortment of power tools (stationary/handheld) to sqaure up my stock, create joints, etc. from Delta, Jet, Dewalt
    Currently use the "scary sharp plate glass method for sharpening my Marples chisels.

Am considering a one of the following 3 hand planes for cleanup work, etc:
    Lee Valley Low Angle block plane $119
    Lie Nielsen 140 Skew Block Plane $175
    Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 Low Angle adustable mouth block plane $150.00

Would appreciate any recommendations.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 10-22-2006 at 4:08 PM.

2. Hi Scott,

I would select either the LV or the LN 60 1/2, whichever you like the looks of or want to afford. Both are excellent planes.

Unless you have need for the 140, removable side, fence and being able to deepen a rabbet, I would skip it.

Take care, Mike

I know very little about the 140 but from what I understand it's a little more of a specialty plane as opposed to an everyday user. Again, this is coming from a neander newbie (and that's being generous).

I love the LN 60 1/2. It feels sexy to hold but that's probably subjective. It works very nice right out of the box but I suspect that after a little fettling and some use it will wear into an extension of the users hand.

The LV is 1/8" longer (6 3/8" over the LN 6 1/4") and is 5/8" wider, at 2". I've read owners saying that it's a little heavier than the LN. However, it has some apparently unique features that are making me () buy it/try it here in a couple weeks. These include two blade guide screws to prevent blade shifting and a funky combined blade advance and lateral adjust that looks quite intriguing.

Incidentally, you can get the LN for $135 delivered at Fine tool Journal's website. http://www.finetoolj.com/LN/home.html

Now some REAL neanders can give you some REAL advice on the planes you list.

hth
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I have the LN low-angle adjustable mouth block plane and love it...that's noteworthy as I'm not really much of a Neander when it comes to woodworking. Lot's of "tails" in use in my shop. But that little plane got me more interested in other sizes and formats. It's both a functional part of every project and a stepping stone to my using hand planes more often than I ever thought I would.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you looked at an old Stanley 60-1/2? It can be had for maybe 1/10th of any of the ones you listed.

Al

I have the LN low angle rabbet block plane. Once I got it, I never used my regular low angle block. For a regular block, I have an old Craftsman that works as good as the LN.

You can find the LN planes a bit less expensive here with free shipping, if you decide to go that way. The LV block plane is excellent, also. Try to get your hands on each and see which on fits your hand best.

The LN plane is a bit smaller and fits my hand better than the LV plane, but that's just my experience.

Mike

Why the preference for low angle?

I'll throw my card in the hat and say that I recommend the LN 9-1/2 for most clean up work. For tight spaces, I use a LN 102.

My question regarding low angle is because everyone seems to prefer low angle block planes. My LN 102 is low angle and my LV apron plane is low angle but my regular sized block plane, a LN 9-1/2, is not. If I need to plane end grain I grab my LV low angle smoother, LV apron or my LN 102 but when I'm doing cleanup work, the 9-1/2 gives a finish that rivals a well set up smoothing plane. The steeper bed angle and rock solid construction combined with the ability to set a tight mouth makes this an outstanding little plane.

In all fairness, the low angle 60-1/2 looks sleeker and more attractive somehow and I actually purchased the 9-1/2 by mistake because it was in a 60-1/2 box. I keep trying to justify a 60-1/2 but I just can't rationalize it. No matter how thin a shaving I take w/ my low angle block planes they just don't leave a finish like that 9-1/2.

just my

PS this was purely a curiousity question regarding low angles, not debating their merit.
    Last edited by David Marcus Brown; 10-23-2006 at 9:44 AM.

I agree, The 140 isn't a good choice for a general duty block plane. The only time mine sees use is trimming tenon cheeks or cutting cross grain rabbets.

A Record 044 is great for long grain rabbets but the lack of a nicker kills its cross grain versatility. I have to use the 140 here or clean up after the 044 with a 60-1/2R. If I had a router plane I'd handsaw the shoulder and finish up with the router. Then again, I could use the handsaw and finish w/ the 044. Decisions, decisions . . .

I'm glad that LN made the nicker standard on the 140. Without it, it's really relegated to use a tenon cheek trimmer.
    Last edited by David Marcus Brown; 10-23-2006 at 9:42 AM.

I have the LV and the LN 60 1/2R (rabbeting version). They both work great. I think the LV is a little easier to adjust after a blade sharpening. That makes it my choice for a first plane.
    Jay St. Peter

I own both the Lee Valley low angle block plane, and the Lie-Nielsen low angle adjustable mouth block plane. The biggest difference between the two has to be, for me, the width of the blade. LV- 1 5/8" and LN 1 3/8".

I find that the smaller blade plane fits in my hand nicely, and is better at those small jobs that a block plane does so well at , such as chamfering edges, where a wide blade isn't a requirement.

I have what is called a cadet sized hand, which is short fingers on a wide palm. In short, I would make a rotten pick-pocket! I do not like the feel of the LV "standard" block plane, since it does not fit my hand. I would put a standard angle blade in their low angle plane, rather than get this hard to hold plane. I am sure that others with a regular sized hand, may not need to do this, and would actually prefer the extra size.

So why do I own a LV low angle plane? I do at times need the extra width, and a toothed blade, and that is where the LV excells. I also like the multiple blades available for this plane.

Quote Originally Posted by David Marcus Brown
    I'll throw my card in the hat and say that I recommend the LN 9-1/2 for most clean up work. For tight spaces, I use a LN 102.

My question regarding low angle is because everyone seems to prefer low angle block planes. My LN 102 is low angle and my LV apron plane is low angle but my regular sized block plane, a LN 9-1/2, is not. If I need to plane end grain I grab my LV low angle smoother, LV apron or my LN 102 but when I'm doing cleanup work, the 9-1/2 gives a finish that rivals a well set up smoothing plane. The steeper bed angle and rock solid construction combined with the ability to set a tight mouth makes this an outstanding little plane.

In all fairness, the low angle 60-1/2 looks sleeker and more attractive somehow and I actually purchased the 9-1/2 by mistake because it was in a 60-1/2 box. I keep trying to justify a 60-1/2 but I just can't rationalize it. No matter how thin a shaving I take w/ my low angle block planes they just don't leave a finish like that 9-1/2.

just my

PS this was purely a curiousity question regarding low angles, not debating their merit.
    I've got both LN's 60-1/2 & 9-1/2 and would tend to agree with you. However, I still find for the majority of uses I grab the LA. Not because it leaves a better finish - just because it feels better in the hand. For most stuff I do, the difference just doesn't seem all that important. I tend to search out the 9-1/2 when I know the wood is particularly hard or something figured. On that stuff there's a big difference and it seems worth a little hand discomfort to go for the 9-1/2. I planed some thin ebony last summer and was using the LA and it was cutting well. I reminded myself that I also had the 9-1/2 and maybe I should see how that worked. Took a while for the stupid grin to go away. A couple of passes and it looked like a piece of obsidian. The finish was that good.
    Use the fence Luke

13. Greetings Scott,

I have limited experience with LV but everything I know is good. I do prefer the LN planes. I have a Bronze 102 that I keep at hand and use most of all. I have a 9 1/2 and 60 1/2 R as well. I like them both and find them very comfortable to use. The adjustable mouth and LA, if required, would lead me to the 60 1/2.

With any of these planes you can't go wrong.

Best...

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Bessette; 10-25-2006 at 8:39 PM.

14. I dunno, I think Al has got it right. It seems that everyone gets all balled up with LN and LV high priced planes, and frankly, there are so many old stanleys and, indeed, sargents and the like out there that I have to wonder if some folks are more into spending big dollars for pretty planes for ego purposes. Don't get me wrong, I own a LN rabbet block plane simply because it works for me, but the balance of my planes are old stanleys, with a bit of fettling, and they work just fine. For the weekend warrior type guy, I have to wonder why one would spend hundreds. My 2 cents. rn

15. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec
    I dunno, I think Al has got it right. It seems that everyone gets all balled up with LN and LV high priced planes, and frankly, there are so many old stanleys and, indeed, sargents and the like out there that I have to wonder if some folks are more into spending big dollars for pretty planes for ego purposes. Don't get me wrong, I own a LN rabbet block plane simply because it works for me, but the balance of my planes are old stanleys, with a bit of fettling, and they work just fine. For the weekend warrior type guy, I have to wonder why one would spend hundreds. My 2 cents. rn
    I dunno, sounds like a mixed message to me.

That LN rabbet block plane is based upon a Sargent. An original is shall we say, rather spendy. So that at least makes it a good buy.

A LN or LV low angle smoother or LA jack. Know what good shape vintage ones run? Makes those company's offerings a decent purchase, too. Especially if one factors in that their's are unlikely to break, a common problem on the original LA planes.

But it's OK should you believe "it works" for you, therefore it is not "spending big dollars for pretty planes for ego purposes." Why doesn't that apply to this situation? Or does it? If so, why make such a judgemental call?

btw? As a weekend warrior, what kind of other tools sit in your/mine/their shop? See? We all draw a line somewhere, how to spend *our* money. Does it really matter whether that decision will be for vintage, or new?

Take care, Mike