Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The SMC Holiday Turning Contest - We have Winners!

Blog Entries
    I like it, sounds like a great plan to me. I like Mark have a special place in my heart for St Judes to many kids don't get a decent break in life, and they do more than their share to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

RULE Change

Well, after a few PM:'s a bit of thought, a couple Moxie's and a can of Billy Beer (remember that ! ) The one rule contest has changed. For those of you That turn green wood and have something rough turned in the DNA or drying you are welcome to enter it, not really starting from scratch, but close enough for this finely tuned contest. Get to making some curlys and have some fun.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

BTW, Scott.... question. On the sold a turning and going into group catch. I consider myself a beginner and have sold a pen or two but frankly I sold a pen before I knew what the heck I was doing. I don't think that should throw you into the first group. What do you think? Many of start with pens and sell a few immediately yet we have been turning only 9 months. Not the same as turning a bowl or box etc. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey, I feel for ya, having sold a couple of pens by accident myself that would put me in there with the BIG boys also. But, we have to have a line some where and that is going to be as laid out. You turn some mighty fine pens and I doubt even Andy would go up against ya Your box was not to bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    BTW, Scott.... question. On the sold a turning and going into group catch. I consider myself a beginner and have sold a pen or two but frankly I sold a pen before I knew what the heck I was doing. I don't think that should throw you into the first group. What do you think? Many of start with pens and sell a few immediately yet we have been turning only 9 months. Not the same as turning a bowl or box etc. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Corey
    Here's how I look at it Corey, being in the same boat...... I'd rather be beat publicly by Ketron/Stinson/Burns/ETC...... than Howell/Chaffee

Bring on Group Catch!!!!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton

Here's how I look at it Corey, being in the same boat...... I'd rather be beat publicly by Ketron/Stinson/Burns/ETC...... than Howell/Chaffee

Bring on Group Catch!!!!
    Barry, thats just waaay to funny
    PS. who is Howell and Chaffee ?

We need more nominations for charities... the nominations are few and diverse, it looks like.

Also, is the auction going to auction everybodies piece off or just the winners. If it is just the winners it doesn't seem like that would raise much money... but I could be mistaken.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Jonathan - As I interpret the rules (that I helped prepare) all pieces entered in the contest are up for auction.
    Only the Blue Roads

Ok... at least if I don't win it will be fun to watch my piece(s) auctioned, especially if it goes to a worthy charity
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Bring on Group Catch!!!!
    OUCH!!! LOL......

Corey

Blog Entries
    Personally I consider it an honor to be grouped with the big boys. It is'nt often I get to hobnob with my betters. And like Barry said in that group, it won't hurt so bad getting beat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

With my limited time..if I make something I might have to keep it for my wife's Christmas gift. I woudl hate to have to buy it back. Any way those that dont want to sell theirs could throw xx bucks into the pot. Otherwise i may have to sit on my idea and not enter it.

Just moving and having the whole shop to unpack and get set up and turn Christmas gifts just doesnt seem like its going to happen quickly.

So since I've sold a pen or two, I'm automatically in Group Catch.........aww man..............
    Yeah, but we're going to auction off all the entries. That means, if this goes as planned, everybody who enters will be in Group Catch next year.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Just took mine off the mustard monster! (which was pretty much a miracle in it self!!!) Now for the hard part!
    Last edited by Kurt Rosenzweig; 10-28-2006 at 3:44 PM.

Hey Scott, Andy, or John, are we to wait until the deadline to post pictures of our entries or can we post them as they are completed?

Also, if you're still talleying votes for the recipient of the contribution mark one down for St. Judes.