Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down a lathe...

Slowing down a lathe...

I've seen lots of posts saying that the slowest speed on most variable speed lathes is faster than desired, for some projects. Would it be possible, reasonable to change the pulleys and use a Power Twist link belt to slow the turning speed down?

Depends ...

Which lathe did you have in mind?

I'm leaning towards the Jet mini now. But I would also like to hear if it would be possible (even in theory) with others, if I stumble on one used...different make/model but variable speed.

Thanks for any and all reples.
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 10-24-2006 at 8:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Koch
    I'm leaning towards the Jet mini now.
    I've thought about this for the Mini and came to the conclusion that it was more trouble than it was worth. The largest step on the upper pulley is already about as big as will fit and the smallest step on the lower one is already about as tight as I'd want to wrap a belt around. You might be able to cut a clearance slot for a larger upper pulley, but it would obviously weaken the headstock.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

...that the slowest speed on most variable speed lathes is faster than desired...
    The statement needs to be qualified...VFD controlled variable speed (higher-end) lathes can get quite slow. My Stubby goes nearly to zero RPM if I ask it to. So did the small OneWay I used to own. That said, many of the VS lathes that use Reeves drives or the electronic controls as on the Jet Mini do have bottom ends that are sometimes faster than one might desire for larger objects or material that is considerably out of balance. One might get a slower low end by changing a pulley or two when that option is available, but that's not an easy thing on some machines due to design.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I've thought about this for the Mini and came to the conclusion that it was more trouble than it was worth. The largest step on the upper pulley is already about as big as will fit and the smallest step on the lower one is already about as tight as I'd want to wrap a belt around. You might be able to cut a clearance slot for a larger upper pulley, but it would obviously weaken the headstock.
    Lee has it right for the JET mini. Lathes with different designs may be easier to modify for a larger speed range, You could go to VFD control; but that would involve significant additional expense.

Lee, thanks. I was hoping it might be easier,

Randy, if the slower speed would really help, maybe I should look for an older, bit larger lathe. I can't go too large, though, because of space.

Jim, full quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Koch
    I've seen lots of posts saying that the slowest speed on most variable speed lathes is faster than desired, for some projects.
    I don't have a lathe yet, so I'm even less than a newby. I can't afford a high end lathe with all the bells and whistles. Just trying to sort out as much info as I can before I make any decisions. How much was your small OneWay? Would it be worth looking at for a person just starting out, including one who has no turning tools yet? ($$)

Thanks all!

what kind of expense and were would one find a vfd control, I ask Cause I been eyeing up the grizzly that is in another thread and the main thing holding me back was the low end speed, But If I could buy it and use it for a while then as my turning gets better and I want to turn larger bowls if I could add on another $400 hundred or so it would still be a bargin.

Bob

Greg,
    Consider the Jet mini with the electronic variable speed. Learn to turn and decide where to go from there. Am told the Jet minis have good resale value when it's time to trade up. Finally got a lathe with EVS (or whatever initials you like) a while back, after 20+ years with a lathe with too fast lowest speed. It's a whole different (and better) world.

Richard,

According to the info at WoodCraft, both the regular Jet mini and the variable speed mini are rated at 500 to 3,900. Seems the VS model does it by electrical control, where the regular model is by changing belt/pulley combination. 500rpm seems to be the slowest, no matter which you get.

The Rikon mini is also variable, belt/pulley, but the lowest speed is 430. On sale for $10 less than the Jet, and they have a special for a free 3pc turning tool set. Would the Rikon, with a slightly slower speed, be better for me?

Thanks

Greg there are a bunch of us that have the little Rikon. I did a lot of research before buying one and love it. Extremely easy to change speeds (about 30 seconds), the other nice thing is you don't have to tear the lathe apart to change belts like the others and you can turn a 12" bowl with it. I turned a plate Sunday that was 11 7/8". Do a search for Rikon and you will get some more info. You can't go wrong for the money. Jet, Delta, Turncrafter Pro, all of these are good lathes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My Bad, Gregg. Sorry I misread your post. The small OneWay 1018 I owned is no longer manufactured-but if you can find a used one, snap it up! The 1224 replaced it. Not an inexpensive machine and in a similar price range to the Jet 1642, NOVA DVR, etc., all of which are true VS machines with good "low" end capabilities. Despite the higher "low end" speed, a machine like the Jet VS Mini still offers a lot of value to both the beginner and as a potential second machine once the upgrade comes. (folks don't refer to this activity with the word "addiction" for no reason... ) 500 rpm is fine for smaller work, even when rouge, especially if you work with "bandsawn rounds" to start. (Many experienced turners start with rougher blanks so they can play between centers to get the orientation best for the project, rather than settle for whatever was committed to at a saw)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Would someone please explain what terms like 'VFD' and 'EVS' mean?
    I might want to use one of these gizzies on my Grizzly to get lower and slower if it is possible.

I am using a home built lathe that has 4-step pullys as a speed control. As you say the lowest speed is too fast for out of round blanks. I was using a 1/2 hp AC motor with variable speed, forward and reverse, but when I went to lower speeds I would loss a lot of power. I decided to change the motor to a 2 hp and use my step pulleys. As my step pulleys are also homemade they are larger than normal.The lowest speed that I can get was 765 rpm . So I decided to add a Jackshaft and 2 more pulleys. Now I can get speeds from 200-3970 rpm, with a little belt changing.
    I will try to show a pic of my set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Would someone please explain what terms like 'VFD' and 'EVS' mean?
    I might want to use one of these gizzies on my Grizzly to get lower and slower if it is possible.
    Frank and others
    "EVS" stand for Eltronic Variable Speed, this can be either a DC drive or a "Variable Frequency Drive". In order to use a VFD you must have a 3 phase motor so if one wants to do this as a retrofit they'll have too change out the motor. Many VFD's will operate on 1 phase, they create there own 3 phase. These can be had up to 2 HP for under $400 depending on the size and feature. I did a tutorial on how to do this sometime back if anyone wants to look it up.