Thread: Can they do this?

Can they do this?

Hi everyone

Well, something popped up on my radar screen tonight when I was reading the Woodworkers Journal eZine,

I never noticed the "best of the web" feature.

SMC was the source of two parts of the article.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/webreview.cfm#2

So I'm a bit confused. As I read the TOS, as members we retain the copyright on anything we submit, and SMC has the right to use it in anyway SMC sees fit.

But.......... how does this fall into the above link? Indirectly SMC content is supporting the woodworkers journal's business. Are we getting compensated for their use of our content?

I'm not saying that this is bad per se, but just that I hadn't noticed it before. If they are using our stuff and are paying SMC for the right, that is fine as far as I am concerned. Anything that defrays our costs is ok. On the other hand, if they aren't helping support SMC should they be allowed to essentially copy excerpts of our posts, even though they are disclosing where it comes from and including a link to our site?

Jay

Dont know the answer but it certainly is interesting. One point though that puts a slightly different twist on your statement: Indirectly SMC content is supporting the woodworkers journal's business.- they aren't actually making any money off the eZine (at least directly). It's free to anyone who wants to subscribe whether you buy their print mag or not. I'm wondering if the free aspect somehow makes it OK? I dunno.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug

Yes I know that the eZine is free, but let's face it, WWJ is a business, and it does things for a business purpose. There are ads on the email and the linked articles so...........

Jay

Tempest in a teapot

Can they do this? Yes, obviously.

Is it illegal, immoral, or fattening? Possibly, but I wouldn't bet any large sums of money on it.

Is there anything effective we can do about it? For all practical purposes, no.

Do we really want to waste time worrying about it? No...IMO, YMMV.

Call me back when they plagiarize plans posted here or publish pictures of a member's work without crediting it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I saw it too. I didn't think anything of it. Heck maybe SMC has hit the BIG TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Doug

Yes I know that the eZine is free, but let's face it, WWJ is a business, and it does things for a business purpose. There are ads on the email and the linked articles so...........

Jay
    No argument. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the distinction of why it wouldn't be OK for a free net-based publication to quote and cite other web resources (SMC) and OK for us here on SMC to do essentially the same thing. Here's a current example thread that quotes (and cites the source) other web sites content.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44601

The only immediately noticeable difference seems to be the lack of ads on SMC. I'm glad I don't have to lose any sleep over it - that's why they make lawyers.
    Use the fence Luke

Standard convention is often (but not universal) that "short quotes with attribution" usually fly, especially when referencing material, but completely reprinting something is a whole 'nuther ball-game.

In the case of this "what are people saying" E-Zine article, it does provide a link directly to the original material at SMC (something we don't allow here if the source is another forum)...in that respect, it may drive additional folks to join the community. I know I don't personally have a problem with that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jay,

John Hart has copied dozens of SMC posts to his web site.
    Reference; http://www.do-it-myself.com/content/...ts-your-story/

J
    JF
    Apprentice Wooddorker
    Future Amputee

I'm pretty sure that is how I found this place.
    That may make some people really want to stop them.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Hi everyone

Well, something popped up on my radar screen tonight when I was reading the Woodworkers Journal eZine,

I never noticed the "best of the web" feature.

SMC was the source of two parts of the article.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/webreview.cfm#2

So I'm a bit confused. As I read the TOS, as members we retain the copyright on anything we submit, and SMC has the right to use it in anyway SMC sees fit.

But.......... how does this fall into the above link? Indirectly SMC content is supporting the woodworkers journal's business. Are we getting compensated for their use of our content?

I'm not saying that this is bad per se, but just that I hadn't noticed it before. If they are using our stuff and are paying SMC for the right, that is fine as far as I am concerned. Anything that defrays our costs is ok. On the other hand, if they aren't helping support SMC should they be allowed to essentially copy excerpts of our posts, even though they are disclosing where it comes from and including a link to our site?

Jay
    Putting a hyperlink on another website TO any post or thread at SawmillCreek is within the bounds of the law. The important distiction is that actually reproducing the content on another website is technically only legal with permission from the author or publisher (and/or with appropriate reference credit given). It is up to the author to make or assert his or her copyrights. As an obligatory side note, SawmillCreek makes no claims either expressed or implied of any representation on behalf of its membership, as we assert that copyrights belong to their respective authors.

I would hope that anything posted here that is directly copied from another site has full reference and credit given to the respective author. Only upon notification from a copyright holder or representative thereof do we (at SawmillCreek) have a duty to remove it in a reasonable amount of time.

Capiece?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator