Thread: Grizzly delivery

Grizzly delivery

My Grizzly edge sander is in Dallas, projected to be here tomorrow, tho they haven't called to set anything up. I'd really rather just pick it up at the terminal because if the truck comes out here I plan to just move it from that truck to mine anyway, then move it into the shop later. Question is what kind of hassle should I expect from the trucking company if the box is obviously damaged? Not trying to borrow trouble, just wanna be prepared.

KC

I would think that the freight company would be overjoyed for you to pick up at the terminal...1 less opportunity for them to drop it. I don't think you'll have any hassle if the packaging is messed up. In fact, I'd want to take all the packaging off if there was any damage. Congrats on the sander! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have only had one crate damaged and that was a truck delivery. The diver was very helpful in uncrating and checking for damage. Appeared that he was also happy to make sure that everything was OK. I think that the trucking companies would rather have it squared away right then rather than have a problem later. Seems like that Grizzly wants you to document everything and have a driver signature before he leaves as well as I remember but you could check their policies.

I do like to pick up at a terminal when possible because it is fast and I can pick up at my convenience. A quick check in the office and just a few minutes later it is loaded on my trailer and I am on my way. No waiting around for a truck to show up.

Good Luck! Allen

If there is ANY damage to the packaging, be sure to note it on the papers when you sign for it. There could be hidden damage you won't notice until you try to use the tool. It is much easier to settle a claim if the damage is noted up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    My Grizzly edge sander is in Dallas, projected to be here tomorrow, tho they haven't called to set anything up. I'd really rather just pick it up at the terminal because if the truck comes out here I plan to just move it from that truck to mine anyway, then move it into the shop later. Question is what kind of hassle should I expect from the trucking company if the box is obviously damaged? Not trying to borrow trouble, just wanna be prepared.

KC
    There shouldn't be any hassle at all. This sort of thing is just part of daily business. But, to be prepared, bring Rocco from Chicago and a digital camera to document.

I have purchased four pieces of machinery from Grizzly. Three of those pieces I picked up at the terminal with no issues at all. (The other one was delivered to my place of employment; again no issues.) Inspect the package as it is loaded onto your truck and document any concerns. Enjoy your new sander! And as you know, folks here like pictures! Don't let anybody do to you what Hoyt did to me!
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 10-25-2006 at 2:01 PM.

I've only ordered one piece of Grizzly equipment so my experience is not particularly broad. I had it delivered to my house via a lift-gate equipped truck (you can read more here . . .http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40833). Packaging looked fine. Obviously note any damage to the packing material. Generally, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I have confidence that Grizzly will make it right in the end (even if it's not on the BIL). Lars

While Grizzly is known for it's stellar customer service, I can't say the same for the trucking compaines in my area. I've bought 3 different machines from Grizzly, each of which has been here in Kansas City the following day. To date, there have been three different freight companies, only one bothered to call and set up a delivery time within 3 days after arrival. The one that did, (UPS Freight) didn't bother to even show up on the day they set to deliver it.
    By all means, save yourself the grief and the minute it hits the terminal give them a call and tell them you will pick it up! They have no reason to be in a hurry to get it to you, as delivery to your door is not going to net them another dime. They will probably load it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Roper
    While Grizzly is known for it's stellar customer service, I can't say the same for the trucking compaines in my area. I've bought 3 different machines from Grizzly, each of which has been here in Kansas City the following day. To date, there have been three different freight companies, only one bothered to call and set up a delivery time within 3 days after arrival. The one that did, (UPS Freight) didn't bother to even show up on the day they set to deliver it.
    By all means, save yourself the grief and the minute it hits the terminal give them a call and tell them you will pick it up! They have no reason to be in a hurry to get it to you, as delivery to your door is not going to net them another dime. They will probably load it for you.
    I live about as far south of Springfield, MO as you do north. For "equipment" sized purchases I pick up myself. Folks at the Grizzly store are invariably friendly and do an excellent job of loading into the back of my pick-em-up. Gives a chance to inspect cartons before they load also. Only downside is once you have it, damage is your concern. Once, I picked up two items. It was nice weather and the forecast was to stay sunny and clear. NOT! On way home got heavy rains. Cardboard packing soaked and I had a mess. Didn't damage equipment but I did have to wipe off lots of water. Beside, going to Springfield will give you a chance to look around the big store then visit Bass Pro Shops and spend lots more money.

Grizzly delivery

Kirk,

I picked up a Grizzly drum sander last week from Overnite. Grizzly suggested that I inspect prior to delivery. When I informed the Overnite person loading the machine, he said the rules are: "if there is a hole or tear in the shipping material, we must allow you to inspect the piece." In my cast there was damage to the shipping container so he removed the sander from the container, allowed me to completely inspect the tool and loaded in my vehicle. There was no damage. I didn't have to dispose of the packing material and the service from Overnite was excellent. Win/win

Note, the tool performs great!!

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Frank,
    I had considered driving down and picking up my last machine, however, I figured the gas round trip for my truck. At three bucks per gallon the shipping became cheap. Also, I had to run additional 220 service in my shop so the quickest way from crate to running figured to be via delievery.
    It won't happen this way next time though! My next machine is an All American, Kansas City manufactured Woodmaster 718 with spiral head. Can't wait for spring already.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Roper
    Frank,
    I had considered driving down and picking up my last machine, however, I figured the gas round trip for my truck. At three bucks per gallon the shipping became cheap. Also, I had to run additional 220 service in my shop so the quickest way from crate to running figured to be via delievery.
    It won't happen this way next time though! My next machine is an All American, Kansas City manufactured Woodmaster 718 with spiral head. Can't wait for spring already.

Nick
    That sounds great. Now, if I only knew what a Woodmaster 718 with spiral head was, I would get really excited.

Opps

Opps sorry. It's a heavy duty planer/molder capable of doing fairly large glue ups and allows for use of multiple knives and router operations in a single pass.
    http://woodmastertools.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable

KC
    kIRK,

Make sure that you document any issues with the packaging "on the delivery slip that they want you to sign" Note any and all possibile issues clearly and legibly. Been done this road before with crated items. CYA and don't worry about it seeming petty! If there is any issues with the product inside the crate and you note nothing on the delivery slip, I will tell you that your chances of getting help from the frieght carrier will be NON EXISTENT, period.

I took delivery on a large industrial planer last year in April. The pallet was obviously damaged, though the crate looked fine. The driver said let's take the crate off and check it out. Once the crate was removed, the planer looked fine with a quite once over. I did not note any issues with the delivery on the delivery slip.

After we removed more of the pallet to gain access to the interior of the planer, which has large doors on either side for inspection/maintenance access, we saw the damage. One of the large support beams that runs from the fron to the rear was cracked. It was cast as part of the planer to provide integrity to the frame. I called the freight company not 10 minutes after it was delivered and they sent out an inspector the following day. He took photos and asked me a few questions. I thought that it would be handled. I got a phone call a couple of days later from the freight company stating that I received the equipment in working order and they would do nothing for me.

I then called the leasing company and informed them that I was filing a Right of Refusal claim and that they could come and pick up the unit. I got a call from the manufacturer of the equipment (this manufacturer also refused to help me out when I first called them about the problem that I was having with the freight company) I mean after spending close to $15,000 on a piece of equipment, I thought that I would at least get some assistance. That tune change after the leasing company stopped payment based upon my filing the Right of Refusal notice. This company that had stated that it was now my problem, not theirs, was calling me to arrange for the delivery of a new planer to replace my damaged one.

I hate to fight back, but someone was responsible for the damages and I was not going to keep this brand new expensive planer as it was delivered.
    Last edited by Mike Mastin; 10-25-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Being in the shipping and receiving business for the last 25 years, you make sure that you inspect everything around and inside the crate and noting everything you can on the bill of lading before the driver leaves your address and make sure his signature is on the bill as well along with the date, how many pieces you counted and you print and sign your name and keep the bottom copy of the bill of lading. I never ever call any trucking company when I have damage on any item I deal with the vendor directly and let them deal with the freight carrier to get the freight claims department going in the case of any damage, always use a credit card to make the purchase so you have some kind of recourse if the shipping company you made the purchase from with decides to blow you off and not deal with your problem fast enough. Try to notify the vendor who you made the purchase with immediately that you wrote on the bill of lading any damage you have seen. I have had a few drivers that tried to give me grief about opening a crate for inspection, so I loaded back on their truck and told the driver to hit the road, but only to see him back with in the hour with a smile on his face and then helping me uncrate to check for damage, terminals never want to see freight come back after it has been loaded on one of their trailers for delivery...