Thread: Electric Fans in Garage Shop??

Electric Fans in Garage Shop??

I have a Clearvue DC and JDS air filter in my garage shop. I always have the garage door open (with rare exceptions) for air circulation. I only turn on the JDS when I leave the shop. Could I improve the air quality by placing a couple small electric fans in the back of the garage blowing out while I'm in there? Or could this possible make the air quality worse by stirring up all the dust particles? Thanks

Doug,
    Bill Pentz did an air quality test in my garage a couple of weeks ago, and that is one thing he recommended. I have a similar "garage" set as you, and I work with the door open when possible. I have a Cleavue, but no other filtering system. He said if I could setup a fan in the back that brought fresh air in, and with the garage door open, the airborn dust that the DC didn't pick up would be more likely to be blown out instead of settling on everything only to be stirred up later. I also blow out the shop with an air compressor once a week. While the DC is really good, there is still airborn dust. Using good dust hoods, while being close, don't always pick-up every speck. I'll use all three methods.

Jan--in reading your previous thread, that was the implicit meaning I got. But to clearify, the electric fans would blow air out (in the direction of the open garage door)--and would be benificial. I'm going to try this out.

In addition, is it your understanding that you shouldn't be running your air filter (JDS, JET) while you're in the shop--as it stirs up the dust? But if the garge door is open....

Doug,
    I don't have any other air filters. I meant if I had settled dust on everything running any kind of fan would stir it up. That's why I like to blast out the shop once a week. I run the cyclone with the overhead/and downdraft blastgates open when the door is shut(weather) but when the door is open, he recommended that I use a fan on the back side of the garage(fresh air) and point it towards the open door. I think in mild weather, I will vent the cyclone outside and run an electric fan in the back of the garage facing the big door with it open. That would be the cleanest environment in my shop. But in the winter I will use the cyclone to filter the air, and blast out the shop once a week with the air compressor and a fan before I heat up the shop. One thing with my shop is that I don't have a ducted hose for hand tools like routing, and jig saw, or drill press (yet). So some dust gets loose. I do get a fine layer now and then.