Thread: Start of little cherry shaker clock *pic*

Start of little cherry shaker clock *pic*

Dear All,

Here is a little cherry shaker style clock I started a few days ago,

I have to make an upper and lower glass door for it still. A pendulum will be visible in the lower part of the case.

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Wow, great looking clock. Be sure to post again when it's finished.

Being a Shaker kind of guy myself, I really like your clock!

Hey, where did you get the clock "dial"? (for lack of a better word) I like the design better than most I have seen.

What kind of clock works will you put in it? Real, or battery powered?

I have the FWW with the Becksvoort clock on my list of things to build someday, but I like your dial better.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

David,
    First, clock looks great and same comment as others about the clock "face".
    Second, what kind of plane is that next to the clock (I hate to advertise my ignorance but I've not seen one like that before)?
    What are you going to finish the clock with?
    Thanks
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

The clock face is from Lee Valley, oddly enough, it is their Shaker clock face .

The plane is a Lie Neilsen small chisel plane, I had to clean up the inner corner of the rebate that the soild back of the clock fits into. One of the inner corners wasn't quite flush anymore after glueup and a few swoops with the little LN in the corner fixed that problem.

The works are going to be the battery type. I am giving this clock away to a friend who I don't think will bother to wind a real movement, otherwise I would have bought a high end brass type.

For a finish, I am going to use what I always use,

1 part boiled linseed oil
    1 part pure tung oil
    2 parts satin oil based poly
    2 parts turpintine

I brush this mixture on, let it sit for 20 minutes then I wipe it off. Two, maybe three coats on this followed by a good waxing with LVT Blue label paste wax.

David.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Suggested change

David,

Great work !!

I have made several of this style clock. The original shaker design included a 1/2 round piece on the rear of the design with a hole large enough to hang the clock with a shaker peg (the peg hole can't be seen in the pic below - but you will get the idea) I don't see that in your picture. I would suggest you add that feature. I have the plans and would be glad to scan that part of the plan and e-mail to you. The original design also included a face with "1840" painted just above center of the face. You may be able to find one by doing a google search.

The picture below shows both of those features. This clock hangs in my dining room and has a German wind-up mechanism with chimes. Cherry w/oil finish. (sorry about the picture quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-23-2003 at 8:17 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Very nice job on that clock! Timely for me, too...as it reminds me that I need to start one of similar design for our kitchen. I've always liked this particular style and you've done a great job with yours! 'Can't wait to see the finished project...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David,
    It looked like a chisel plane but the round knob is in the back, that's what threw me. Thank you for the finishing information. I have some cherry I will be using for music/jewelry boxes and was curious. I haven't seen that particular receipe but I will definitely give it a try. Please do post more pics when finished.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

David, your clock looks great. For the record, I think it looks great the way it is. That will be one great looking clock once you get it finished. Lars

Great Job!

Beatifully proprtioned. What type of finish are you planning on using? Howard
    Howard Rosenberg