Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax 16-32 Sander - Worth it?

Performax 16-32 Sander - Worth it?

I was wondering if the Performax 16-32 sander is really worth the effort. I have read several reviews that provided negative feedback with the same concerns i.e. snipe, low power, difficulty install sanding strips and always needing adjustments and very .

I was curious what the Creekers had to say about this unit?
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

Sorry about the double posting

I hit the submit key twice
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

I have its bigger brother/sister (are tools male or female?? ) the 22-44 Plus. It's been a good tool for me as long as I use it for what it does well...leveling and flattening panels and natural edge pieces. It's not a thickness planer. It's not a finish sander.

Oh, and I've had zero issues with snipe or with power. For the latter, when folks have "power" problems, it's usually because they are trying for more than about 1/4 turn of the height adjustment. That results in stalling and the potential for burning. It's also important to understand that these machines are not capable of the same "abuse" and duty cycle that very expensive wide-belt sanders can do...
    -----

And I dealt with your triple posts... Jim - SMC Moderator (Title is currently showing only as contributor)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got one. Use it a lot. No problem changing paper, no problems with anything other that it being slow....I'm always in a hurry for some reason.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Whoever wrote those negative findings is lieing. I have one and love it and can't live without it. I vote yes for it.
    John T.

I have a 16-32. Ditto on Dennis's & Jim's Replys.

Performax 16-32

I really enjoy my 16-32. I second the notion that you cannot take more than 1/64th of an inch per pass, but that's 1/16 inch every 4 passes.

I have used it to make veneer from resawn lumber, great for rocking chair glue-ups of stacked lamination rockers, also great for coffee table tops even up to 30".

I worked carefully on the adjustments...then did it again to get it right...now it's a great machine! For the price it's hard to beat. I got mine 2 years ago with a $100 rebate if you bought 2 Jet tools. Of course I needed a dust collector with it so I purchased the Jet 1100-CK along with it.

I was in a hurry to try it out before I put the DC together and it looked like the Old Engine 97 coming down the tracks! Lots of dust shooting up through that center stack!

Good luck with your's if you decide to purchase one.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

I've used it at the shop and didn't have any problems at all.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I've had one for about 4 years, couldn't live without now. Snipe? Can't conceive of how anyone could experience snipe with it. As for changing the sanding strips it only takes about a minute and is very simple and easy. Never had an issue with power either but as others stated its not a planer, the most I take in a pass is about 1/64. Making adjustments specifically, getting the drum parallel to the table is a little tricky when setting the machine up. I did my 4 years ago and I just checked the other day before using it, still parallel. The only other adjustment is tracking of the belt, that took about 15 minutes, again did it once and never messed with it since.

Me too... I really like mine.

I have had numerous queries over the years about how much wood it can remove, how fast it works, etc. Those people are trying to buy a 15 hp commercial sander with a 1.5 hp Performax motor... they won't be happy. But if you accept that it is a tiny sander compared to the monsters in the cabinet shops, and take your time using it, you should be very happy with it, as I am.

Alignment is not easy, but it holds the alignment well.

Putting the belts on the first couple times should not be done with women and children within hearing distance, but after you get the knack, it is quick and easy.

I have had my 16/32 for four years and use it all the time in the shop. I wish they had the larger machine when I bought mine. In all the negative posts I have read, the probems with the machine have been operator orientated.
    It is a sander not a planer. I seldom take more then a 1/8 turn on mine here in the shop. As Jim stated in his post, it is not a finish sander. I have three grits of paper for it, 100, 120 and 150. I do not use anything below 100. If my material needs anything lower then that, I use my planer to dress it up. For finish work, I use my Festool sanders with grits starting at 120 thru 220 depending on the material I am finishing.

If you get the machine, read the manual and make all the adjustments needed for a smooth even cut.
    Would I buy another one, You bet I would. I have also found that the Jet people are a pleasure to deal with.
    Good Luck in your decision:

DS
    Last edited by Don Selke; 10-26-2006 at 12:10 AM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Like the other responders, I've been quite pleased with mine...with the exception that I CANNOT make the conveyor belt track properly. Every two or three minutes of use I have to move it by hand. I'm used to it, so it's only a minor bother...but I've fussed with it for several years now and never have been able to fix it.

For what I do, I'd buy it again.

KC

I'm wondering if the reviews that mentioned snipe tried to use one without the extension tables? Unless you plan on building an infeed/outfeed surface for it, I think the I/O extension tables are pretty much a must-have. I certainly wouldn't want to use mine without them. No problems with my 16-32 and I'm going on about 10 yrs with it. I've never really been able to get the little accesory tool for changing belts to work or even figure out why it's needed. Unless you've got fingers the size of bowling pins, releasing/engaging the belt clips at either end is a easy. The only trick is to keep tension on the paper as you wind it on the drum. Any loose slop can sometimes result in a crack-the-whip breakage at the end when you turn the power on. And if it don't break, you'll end up with overlaps that can leave sanding ridges. For what it does it's great, but it aint a planer despite marketing terms like 'abrasive planiing' tossed about.
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks to all

I knew I could trust the Creekers to provide unbias feedback. Glad to here that the machine works well for ever one. Thanks for your comments.

My buddy has the 22/44. I have the 26 inch Woodmaster. Both work but the Woodmaster works way better. Much heavier machine but spendy.

just my 2c