Thread: Just a Rollerball

Smile Just a Rollerball

Whitetail antler rollerball pen. I like this kit, I just wish it came in platinum too. CA finish. Let me know what you think about it, good or bad.

I am not ashamed of Christ.

very nice, which kit is it?

Roger

Travis that is a beauty. Nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking pen for sure Travis
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Travis, this is going to be a dumb question, but when using CA as the finish, how to you keep the bushings for sticking to the pen? Did id read somewhere that the CA is applied with wax paper?

I am with Lars on this. Can you give us a little insight to using CA as a finish on pens. How far down the grit chart do you sand?? Then how do you use the CA?? Are there steps before and after??? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
    John T.

I haven't tried that kit, you did a fine job on it. The kit price is a great alternative to the Statesman/Gent/Barons that run about $15.00. Lookin' good.
    To respond to John's question about CA. It doesn't have much lateral strength, bushings just pop off after yer done.
    A lot of pen turners use Micro Mesh a/k/a MM. MM is a plastic stuff used a lot by luthiers (guitar/violin makers), it has a grading system that goes up to 12,000 for the finest. I believe that relates to about 4,000 for the standard grits. It is washable and resuable many times.

Platinum pen kit

Travis,

I just picked up platinum pen kits very similar to this one at Woodcraft this week. I believe they were on sale with a 30% discount.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

The bushings do stick to the pen, but I just tap them off. This is pretty close to my CA finishing method.

Fanger's finish

Just? What's this "Just" garbage? This is a great looking pen! Don't under rate it! Beautiful job!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Very nice. I do like the looks of that kit, I just wish they made more kit options at CSUSA. That white tail is beautiful. I have a bunch saved up to turn. Nice job.

Corey

Why I wouldn't take that thing if you forced it on me... go ahead just try it... please.