Thread: Wall air conditioner

Wall air conditioner

I'm installing a GE wall air conditioner in my shop and the instructions do not indicate how the sleeve should be secured to the studs. They talk about installing flashing and the minimum distance that the unit can protrude into the wall but nothing about the physical method to secure it. Anyone had any experience with this? Please help!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I made a RO of treated 2X6, Used the window sealing strips (self sealing sticky stuff used for roofing) to flash all around. Metal flashing over the top of the unit.
    Sealed the rest with chalk.
    Then I screwed the sleave to the 2X RO.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Some window shakers are designed to mount in a standard window frame with the glass removed and others have a removable case that you mount first and then install the rest. It really depends on the unit.

Also, you should really consider security. Most places down here bolt a metal cage around the unit to help prevent break ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Peters
    Some window shakers are designed to mount in a standard window frame with the glass removed and others have a removable case that you mount first and then install the rest. It really depends on the unit.

Also, you should really consider security. Most places down here bolt a metal cage around the unit to help prevent break ins.
    Steven,

I think you misunderstood the question. I don't have window air conditioners. I have wall units. This is new construction and I have framed the holes to exactly fit the size of the sleeve that holds the unit. My question is how to secure the sleeve to the studs. Also, I don't worry about break-ins. I live on a 12 acre lot and my nearest neighbor is about 1/8th mile away.

The subdivision ends at the Rio Grand river and there is only one way in or out, unless one wants to swim across the river. Besides, the units are about 8 feet off the ground so even if someone thought they could get away it would be very difficult to enter, not to mention the alarm system I have.

Tyler, how did the chalk hold up in the weather?

David, who chalks lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    I made a RO of treated 2X6, Used the window sealing strips (self sealing sticky stuff used for roofing) to flash all around. Metal flashing over the top of the unit.
    Sealed the rest with chalk.
    Then I screwed the sleave to the 2X RO.

This reminds me....I need to take my AC down for the year. It was 15 degrees here this morning.

Rick
    I have one like that, I removed the unit from the sleeve, screwed the sleeve to the studs then put the unit back in. Check to see if yours does that, mine has been there for 10 years and I pull the unit out every year to clean the coils.
    Mike

Mike,

Mine came in two separate boxes. One had the sleeve and the other the a/c unit so that isn't a problem. I was told by GE not to drill through the bottom but they said nothing about the top or sides. I've talked to the plumbing company that is doing the all of the plumbing for the shop and they also suggested putting screws in the sides and top.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    I'm installing a GE wall air conditioner in my shop and the instructions do not indicate how the sleeve should be secured to the studs. They talk about installing flashing and the minimum distance that the unit can protrude into the wall but nothing about the physical method to secure it. Anyone had any experience with this? Please help!

I think it is a good idea. Air conditioners are good investment for your shop. I give you an advice. If you want to buy the AC Then Window air conditioners are the best. Window air conditioners are small units that are to fit a standard window space. Window air conditioners are came in market for those people who could not afford central air conditioning. In my opinion window air conditioners are the best air conditioners for you.

I would screw them through the top and sides. If you're going into ACQ treated use stainless fasteners. Make sure it's level across the face and slightly tilted towards the rear of the unit. Get some Z flashing to go over the outside of the unit and buy the best caulk available at your local roofing supplier (NP1 or Geocel 2300).

For future reference, consider a PTAC unit like they use in motel rooms. I bought an Amana AC with heat since they're made in USA. The nice thing is the sleeve is a standard size so if you ever have to replace it the new unit will fit (unlike most window AC's). They also have a mode to cycle the fan off (not just the compressor) when the desired temperature is met.

Hopefully after close to 5 years Rick has gotten it figured out.

Oh, man. I didn't notice this was a case of a Newbie resurrecting the dead before adding my two cents.

I would still recommend anyone who wants a shop AC to look into the Amana PTAC units. You don't need a license to buy them and they're pretty easy to install.