Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yep, I'm new.

Yep, I'm new.

Been lurking for a few weeks finally had something to post and wanted to say 'Hello' while I was at it.

New to anything 'woodworking' related. Last summer I picked up a 12" craftsman lathe (the tube one) at a garage sale. Had a 4-spur center and a dead center - also got the set of 8 HSS craftsman tools - got the entire package for $50. Played around with it for a little while, nothing of any note. Decided I needed some instruction - plus some accessories since this one didn't come with anything.

This past weekend decided to take a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft. While I was there - picked up a few other things:

Rikon & extension, Supernova2, Pinnacle toolset, 8" slow speed grinder, wolverine jig, jacobs chuck, pen mandrel, couple pen kits, pen drill, micro mesh, hut bar glossy, few jaws for the chuck, probably a few other things. Got a free toolroll with the pinnacle, the free grinderstand and 10% off everything!

Now all I need is some wood... :P

My turning from the pen class - cocobolo pen (excuse the terrible picture) Finished with Hut bar (glossy) Pen is a lot prettier and darker in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chavis
    - picked up a few other things:

Rikon & extension, Supernova2, Pinnacle toolset, 8" slow speed grinder, wolverine jig, jacobs chuck, pen mandrel, couple pen kits, pen drill, micro mesh, hut bar glossy, few jaws for the chuck, probably a few other things. Got a free toolroll with the pinnacle, the free grinderstand and 10% off everything!

Now all I need is some wood... :P
    Picked up a "FEW" things, eh? My wife must have taught you the definition of "few".

Welcome aboard Chris, and that's a very nice pen too.

yee haw!

Posts a pic, buys a lathe and stuff, and takes a class - all in his first post.

Welcome, Chris! You did gooood!
    Only the Blue Roads

Welcome to the Abyss Chris! Get set to have some fun and instant gratification!

Where are you at in NW Indiana. While in the Chicago area I used to get to Crown Point on business. My mother and her siblings live near Bloomington.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome aboard Chris. I like your idea of a "few things".

Nice job and welcome to SMC. I love cocobolo. Probably a good as finish as any for cocobolo. It is very oily. Good looking pen and looking forward to more. If you are going to be turning primarily pens you should also check out the pen turning boards like, PM me and I can give you the url's if you need them. You can pick up alot of tips, especially on finishes which you will want to experiment with.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 10-30-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Picked up a "FEW" things, eh? My wife must have taught you the definition of "few".

Welcome aboard Chris, and that's a very nice pen too.
    Thanks everyone, for the welcome!

I look at it this way - I actually saved money by getting all that stuff. I went in there set on a PM3520. Heck, I even ran an extra 240V line to the garage in preparation. Instead I figured I'd get in some practice and some actual tooling so when I did finally get a big lathe I'd have both experience and tools.

Where are you at in NW Indiana. While in the Chicago area I used to get to Crown Point on business. My mother and her siblings live near Bloomington.
    Live in Wanatah, work in Valparaiso.
    Last edited by Chris Chavis; 10-30-2006 at 10:41 PM.

That is a nice looking pen Chris. Welcome to creek. I just got the Rikon lathe and love it. You can do a lot including 12" bowls or platters. Looks like you did just fine on a "few" items.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Woah... you've done good!!! Congrats on your new tools and that is a beautiful pen. Wish my first turned out that nice. Keep the turnings and pics comin'!!!!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Welcome to the VORTEX, Chris. You definitely did good. Good lookin' pen, too.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

11. Welcome Chris! Nice work! Lookin' forward to seeing more...

Welcome to SMC Chris. I also like your concept of "a few things." I guess I've accumulated "very few" things myself.

Nice pen too. And from cocobolo--man, you jumped in with the serious stuff. Way to go.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Chris, This can be a fun and informative place nice folks too. Great looking pen, and what a gloat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Welcome to SMC Chris.!!!!! Nice pen you posted. Gotta love the stuff one can make on a lathe.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    yee haw!

Posts a pic, buys a lathe and stuff, and takes a class - all in his first post.

Welcome, Chris! You did gooood!
    I love that, all those steps, then takes a photo for his first post. Hoo Yah Chris.
    One comments you made caught my attention. There are tons of places to buy pen, and other, blanks on the internet. But one source I've started to follow closely is some individual classifieds by these members who have blanks for sale. You can also check out the individual classifieds at online penturning sites.
    Good Luck, Mike
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 10-31-2006 at 8:37 PM. Reason: Link to another forum removed. PM sent to Mike
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!