Thread: Anyone ever pre-dye?

Anyone ever pre-dye?

Designing a tall book case for a friend to use in his law office. He requested mahogany and wants a classical dark reddish brown finish. The sides and shelves will be constructed from 3/4 mahogany ply and edges finished off with solid mahogany trim. The shelves will not be adjustable as I plan on using dado's. It will basically be a "built in" designed to look like a free standing open book case.

My question is...Since the ply will require dying wouldn't it be easier to just dye the 4x8 ply sheet and trim before construction? I'm not suggestion that the entire finish be pre-applied...just the initial dye. It seems easier to dye one solid sheet instead of getting into the corners after assembly. I'll put crown on top and casing around the bottom and again, I could dye the entire crown molding before cutting to size.
    Before doing this I wanted to pass the idea through SMC to see if I'm missing something. The only problem I see with this idea is that I might have to touch up a few spots after assembly. Do you see any other potential problems with pre-dying? Please stop me from "dying"...if it's not the proper time.
    Last edited by john whittaker; 10-31-2006 at 8:57 AM.

Absolutely you can do this - I have before and I always finish my trim and then cut to size on site. Make sure your cutsheets are pretty full - then you aren't dying any useful scraps - or you could - make all your cuts - then dye - then assemble. Yes you will have to touch up - but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck

What Gail said is right. I made a 7-ft. tall, 8-ft. wide bookcase out of birch plywood and dyed all the sheets before cutting. It worked out fine. Titebond glue to hold the shelves in their dados grips just as well on the dyed surface of the plywood as it does on the undyed.

Thanks Gail & Joe...just the feedback I was hoping for.