Thread: Bandsaw Purchase - New, Used - Enlon?

Question Bandsaw Purchase - New, Used - Enlon?

First post - been reading for several months.

I want to get a bandsaw - and I don't want to spend a fortune. I want to do some resawing, mostly for cabinet work, maybe some furniture in the future, but I won't be buying logs and running a production operation. Reading several posts here everyone suggests spending around $2000 for a Laguna or a Mini-Max. I have some nice tools now - I'm not against spending money for a nicer tool - but not sure I personally will get the bang for the buck on the $2000 bandsaw.

I will probably end up with a 14" and then beef it up as everyone suggests - Carter Guides etc.. But then I may have spent as much as a newer low end 16" - I'm assuming on the 16" I don't need the riser, Carter Guides, etc..

A couple of interesting posts showed up on Craigslist here - one is for a 16" Enlon Bandsaw for $425- I did Google searches and other than listings for 14" blades , I can't find anything about Enlon Bandsaws - Anyone??

Here is the link:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/226932144.html

Someone just posted a "used Once" Grizzly G055, with blades and a mobile base for $325 - http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/227934815.html

Grizzly has it on sale for $395, but add on the mobile base and shipping and it is about $545 so used saves me $220, enough for a anotehr tool.

I don't want buyers remorse - but I'm almost positive if I get a lower end 14 or 16 inch, new or used, I'll never be at the point where I wished I spent the $2000 on the Laguna - and if I do then I'll get it - they are local.

So if you wanted to stay under $1000 what would you do? My Tablesaw, Jointer and 15" Planer are all Delta X5 - so I may just stay with the Delta - but it seems so expensive compared to the other 14" saws and doesn't seem to deliver much more.

Of course the Woodworking Show is in town this weekend so that may help if there are some good deals there.

Thanks for all the previous help and looking forward to everyone's two cents on this issue.

I look to start being a frequent contributor, hope I can help someone else - I've learned a few tricks since I started woodworking back in 1976.

Woodcraft currently has the 18" Rikon on sales for $999 - good deal on a good saw.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Instead of the 14" saws, consider something larger like the Grizzly G0513 (or whatever the current version is...) or the Rikon or the Bridgewood, etc., if you don't want to move up to the MM/Laguna, etc. You can gussy up the 14" saws all you want, but they really do best with scrolling and "incidental" resawing due to power and stiffness. A Euro design saw is generally stiffer and usually has the power and capacities to do a better job if you truly want to do more than just occasional resawing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ken,

Welcome. Just as a note of interest, thirty one years ago I lived in Villa Park. Bet it's not the same now. Have not been there for about twenty five years now.

You are correct about beefing up a Delta 14". I bought the top, built a base and went with a two hp and riser. After all was said and done I could have nearly bought the 18" Ricon. Live and learn I guess.

Good Luck!

Allen

Re the Craig's listing: Enlon was a minor importer that went out of business about 10 years ago, then re-emerged as Star tools, and I think now they're history as well. The other two names I don't recognize, but they're most likely generic imports (even though one is called "American"). Many parts are interchangable among 14" import bandsaws, but the 16" is an oddball size, and I think you'd be hurting if you ever needed parts for it. Anyway, I think the asking price is too high on all of them. For $259 you can get a brand new Harbor Freight bandsaw that's identical to the green one in the ad.

The Grizzly is nice saw, and $325 with the mobile base is very fair. If you feel that a 14 " cast iron saw will fill you needs, that's probably the best deal you'll find.

However, if I were looking for a new saw today, I'd take a very good look at the Rikons: both the 18" and the 14" (with 13" resaw capacity).

Hi Ken,
    I have the Rikon 18", and like you, sweated over the decision of buying up. I checked out the MM and Lagunas at a show and they are indeed impressive machines. I am a hobbiest so I didn't feel I needed the heavyduty production quality those manufacturers provide, and that you pay for, and so far I am very pleased with the Rikon. After using it for almost two years now, the only thing I would consider buying up for would be the foot brake/switch. I'm not sure if other midlevel machines provide that now but if you keep looking, you may find one. Good luck,JCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baker
    I want to get a bandsaw - and I don't want to spend a fortune.
    [...]
    I will probably end up with a 14" and then beef it up as everyone suggests
    You might consider a used one. It depends how much room you have and your willingness to replace bearings and tires. The old Generals, Delta 20", and Walker Turner 16" all have their fans. I have an older Delta 20" that's a gem. Used 14" Deltas are readily available.

There's a lot of advice and "internet wisdom" about modifying 14" machines, and certain brands of larger machines have a near-religious following. Like everything else on the internet what you read should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

If you're not sure what you want, you can't go wrong buying a used Delta 14". Use it for a while before buying any of the internet-recommended "upgrades". You'll develop a better feel for what's important, and you can easily turn the machine around if you decide to go for a bigger one.

Pete

Used Laguna or a new Rikon

This just popped up on my local Carigslist -

Near New Laguna 16", (2.5 HP so I'm assuming it's an older model) - with the mobility base, foot brake, Laguna Fence and extra blades for $999

this one or a new Rikon for $999

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley

If you're not sure what you want, you can't go wrong buying a used Delta 14". Use it for a while before buying any of the internet-recommended "upgrades". You'll develop a better feel for what's important, and you can easily turn the machine around if you decide to go for a bigger one.

Pete
    I think Pete's advice is excellent. Advice, I might add, I took recently. I was on the verge of ordering a MiniMax 16 or Bridgewood PBS 440 when a lack of funds "forced" me to buy a 1948 Delta 14". I've been so pleased with it's performance that I've quit thinking about the larger machines and started woodworking. Ah! Peace of mind.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Pete

I have a Laguna, would have loved to buy it for $999, I would think that it would be a great deal at that price

Jay