Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for New Toyls

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Shopping for New Toyls

I've been looking around for a work Vehicle for the new spread and I stumbled on this.
    http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/index.html

Anyone seen them??
    How long they been around.
    And now the big one. How much$$$$
    I've been surfing and can only find info from the manufacturer.
    Looks kinda cool.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 10-31-2006 at 9:29 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

tyler that may be of overkill for a private residence.

The landscapers I sell to have all kinds of Bobcats. I love driving them, but they are expensive. The cheapest skid steer that one of my friends own sells for $20K and the most expensive is around $50K. I would be willing to bet that what you are looking at will top out at over $20K easily.

Bobcats are ideal for commercial landscapers. With that said, don't let me throw cold water on a REALLY REALLY REALLY nice "tewl". If you want it .... well you know the rest .

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 10-31-2006 at 9:30 PM.

I picked up some parts from local Bobcat dealer a bout 5 or 6 weeks ago and they didn't have any. Leads me to beleieve its pretty new realease.

4wheel steering too cool!!

Ian thinks you should get that. He said, "I could have a ride in that."

Tyler,
    Those are nice machines. Depending on implements they go for $30k and up. I recently saw a used 2005 Toolcat 5600 with electric dump and bucket for $34.5k. There's a serious lot of attachments, so I imagine the sky's the limit I'd say it ranks right near the top of the list for "coolest toyl on the block"

edit: By the way, I think they were first released in 2003.
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 10-31-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Yep, they are expensive. And, I don't believe they have a 3-point hitch which means no inexpensive attachments. I think you'd be much better served by a compact tractor and an ATV or utility vehicle.

No pain, no gain. Go get it.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Yea, I drooled when you emailed me that link last night, Tyler. I do agree, however, that it may be overkill for a private residence. My Kubota BX22, which includes the 23hp 4wd diesel tractor, FEL and backhoe cost $15.5K. (The current BX24 is likely similar priced or slightly more and even has more thoughtful mounting of the BH and a bunch of new features) That's a big difference from any form of BobCat that I've seen...including used. I also have a 60" mid-mount mower, a PTO chipper/shredder, a back-blade, a post hole digger, a carry-all and a small utility trailer for the thing. Some of those implements were purchased used at great savings. (The chipper is a good example...list close to $4K; bought "used" for $1900 and it had never actually been used. Actually Dr. SWMBO bought it... )

I'm not suggesting that you should buy this particular machine, but am using it as an example of what you can get for x-dollars that is very appropriate for a "small estate". You may or may not need a little bigger if you have a lot of land with heavier work to do. Also check the used and trade-ins that may be available at your local dealers...I recently saw a nearly new K (slightly larger than mine) at one of the local dealers that was 50 cents on the dollar. The owner got caught up in a divorce and the tractor had to go. Quickly. It went...quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Following on what Jim said, a good dealer will be able to help you size the tractor based on your property and the tasks you expect to do. In my case, I was on the line between a tractor the size of Jim's and the next size up. I went with the next size up and it has been perfect. That lets me run a 5' brush hog instead of a 4' which saves time mowing the 7 acres I mow only a couple times a year.

Yes, what Matt said. I actually push the limits of my machine when it comes to FEL and BH work...the next size up might have been better, although "who knew" at the time. It also would have been a lot more expensive and required a new mower deck...I was able to preserve the existing one when I upgraded from a BX2200 to a BX22 with the 'hoe. And if I feel I have a job way too big, I can always opt to rent something after checking on the cost for someone else to do it.

I really do have to say (again) that having this machine has really made a huge difference in the things I can do myself around the property...things I would have had to pay a lot of money for someone else to do. I recently was moving around some boulders that probably weighed well in excess of 1000 pounds. No, I couldn't lift them, but I could drag them around using the 'hoe a little at a time. These are some examples...they were just in a pile next to the new driveway when I started. Now, there is a completed garden along the way.

rocks.jpg rocks-2.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-01-2006 at 9:43 AM.
    --

Expensive TOY.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Expensive TOY.
    Tool, Frank...tool!!
    --

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    5.6 acres total (first right if refusal on 5 more) with a long wide drive way for snow plowing.
    2 Acres of lawn ( rough terrain with a lot of trees and rocks). Current owner has a ZTR but he mows a lot of area I'd like to go natural.

I want to replant an area that was clear cut and also thin and replant 2 acres of scrub trees.
    I also want to play a little, OK play a lot.

Thanks for the info, stock market will dictate future actions .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Take the extra 5 acres if you can swing it, Tyler...to keep or sell off later at a nice profit. It will only cost you more later.
    --

"overkill"

Only if you consider a 46hp Kubota Turbo Diesel "overkill"
    I'm pretty sure that's what the Toolcat 5600 has under the hood.
    See Jim, those Bobcat folks know what they're doing, eh?