Thread: Shop Addition Begins

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Addition Begins

Hey, Folks!

Got a question for you. As some of you might remember, my wife and I have been in the process of moving from Bradenton, Florida to Thomasville, Georgia. Well, I'm finally at a point that the slab is being poured for my shop extension later this week. After discussing options with a couple of local contractors, I'm fairly certain that the overall design of the addition is OK.

The existing building measures 16' wide by 24' deep. I'm adding 20' to the width and retaining the 24' depth. The addition will be a gable roof extending from the side of the building. The roof of the addition will be a 4/12 pitch and the height of walls will be dimensioned to make the facia mate to the existing building facia. To allow for some additonal ceiling height in the addition, I'll stick-build the roof rafters and ceiling joists per the attached drawing. I'll use Simpson steel straps at the ridge beam and where the rafters join the top plates of the walls. Roofing material will be composite shingles on 3/4" deck to match the existing building.

Do you see any issues with the strength of the rafter/ceiling joist arrangement? I want to use this layout to get 10' clearance over the working area of the addition. Walls and roof structure will be 16" centers.

Thanks for your input.

(By the way, it ain't been fun trying to set up the new place with my wife still living and working in the Tampa area. She's much better at housework than I am!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.