Thread: shop layout

shop layout

So I have this darn pole in the center of my shop. Its a column under the main beam of the house, so moving it is kind of a big deal. I am looking into what it will take to move it, but it will probably be a bit too costly. The thing is, I want to maximize the use of my space. I am building a work bench, but have no idea where to put it. Here is the layout as it stands right now. (the red square is the column)

Thanks for looking,
    Chuck

Chuck - I have the same issue. For now I have mine TS positioned similar to yours. Once I get my workbench built (a real one) I'm going to move the TS so that the side extension table is perpendicular to the long wall.

I would make sure that you have at least 8' of infeed and out feed space. In your case if the jointer is on wheels then move that up against the wall when you are not using it. Or, put it on the opposite wall.

Chuck,
    What I did is put the jointer against it...jointer requires no space behind it, just long infeed and outfeed, and good proximity to the table saw... In your situation, I would probably move the jointer to the left of the pole, with the rear against the pole...move the table saw to the right a bit, and put the bench in the area your jointer is now...but I do like 360degree access to my bench...otherwise, you could put the bench against the right hand wall.
    just my .02

I'm with Roger...use the pole to anchor the jointer and perhaps one or two other machines that "don't conflict". The pole gives you a way to route power and DC and surrounding it with a few machines effectively eliminates it from contention. Get the TS over to where the jointer currently is with the extension table towards the wall. That gives you fine infeed/outfeed space and leaves a nice big area available for assembly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have this vague memory of seeing someone, perhaps here, who put a trio of machines, around a pole. The reasons were as Jim said.

I know one tool was a jointer, and I think the other two were a bandsaw and a drillpress. I think those would work well there.

I'm guessing that you have 52" rails on your TS? Can't think why else it looks so large in relation to that 17' wall. I would think you could put that perpendicular to a wall, with the fence side against the wall. 95% or more of your cuts would be fine like that. So if you go with putting the jointer at the pole, then the saw could go where you have the jointer.

ok, I guess I should show you guys some photos of my shop to go with the layout. Here they are.

Shot #1 is looking from the south west corner behind the table saw.

Shot #2 is from the same position looking due east toward the dust collector. (please don't mind the mess, I'm working on it)

Shot #3 is looking from the north back toward where I took the first two shots.

Shot#4 is looking west toward the blank wall or the cross wall or the clock wall, its just the wall with no tools on it.

Shot #5 (The last shot) this one is looking again to the west but also to the north, it shows the column thats in my way and the lumber storrage room (which I think was going to be a storrage room or maybe a bathroom in the original owners plans, but I stick wood in there for now.)

The planer does not go where you see it in the photos, that whole thing is on wheels and usually gets tucked behind the band saw. Under the TV is where I originally wanted to put my chop saw station. That wall has 4 circuits on it... its my main power all, all the tools are fed off of that wall. Its also the dust collection wall. I ran the power after getting the jointer, but the plan for the chop station was in motion before the jointer showed up, so now it looks like plans need to change. Also, where do I put the work bench. I did design it to be the same height as the top of the table saw, in case I want to put it there and use it for out feed, but who knows? I need some space to the right of the table saw because the incra jig sticks out pretty far when working on the router table.

Chuck

I'm thinking the problem with putting the jointer to the left of the pole may crowd the outfeed side. What if you move the cabinet/dresser that you have on the short wall (to the left of the TS) and put the jointer there.

Is major surgery out?

Like, that little closet/partition wall by your breaker panel. Do you want to keep that? put the DC in there maybe?

And what about the opposite corner? From the plans, you've got this large bump-out in the top-left corner of the shop. But from the photos -- if I'm interpreting them right -- you've got this partition wall closing off a bathroom rough-in and your using that to store lumber. What if you knocked down that wall? Seems like it'd turn your shop into a 26x16 wide-open rectangle (except for that "darn" pole) which would give you more options for shop layout.

Just trying to "think outside the box"

Oh, and I see what you mean about the Incra Jig fence on the Tablesaw. Boy, I'm glad that I don't have one of those, it sucks up a HUGE amount of space.

I hadn't considered taking down that partition wall, but that does seem completely possible, there is no power or anything running through that wall, it would take me about 10 minutes with my sawzall. That might be something to look into, but then where would I store my lumber? It might be time to take some measurements and come up with a whole new plan.

At this point anything is possible, the problem with putting the dust collector in that closet is that the sump pump is in there, the breaker panel is in there, and a small cabinet containing my internet router is in there (something I'd like to keep dust free) all power, cable and phone come into the house inside that little closet.

Chuck