Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Windows' in shop

'Windows' in shop

After talking myself out of it for a few years now, I've finally decided I'm gonna build a new shop. Yay!

Without going into excruciating detail, it'll be 24 x 52, and I'll hang a 12x28 carport off the side, with the rear 6' or so of that closed in for 'outdoor stuff' storage. I haven't decided yet on whether to have one of the pole barn people do it, or stick build it myself. I'll put a 12' garage door on the side of the shop at the end, and use that for 'emergency' parking of a second vehicle (storms or what not), since that will be my clearance area for the tablesaw/jointer/planer and should stay relatively free of clutter. At the rear 12-14' of the shop I'll frame up two rooms...one for a 'clean' room to spray in, and one for an office/storage (showroom) area. I'll finish off the interior of the office/storage area as I would a living room. Also thinking I'll rough-in plumbing for a simple bathroom and a kitchen sink in the two 'rooms', so in case the house ever burns down we could stay in the shop during rebuilding.

Now after all that, here's my 'windows' question.

I don't really need windows, as such. If it's hot enough here to open windows, they don't make any difference. It's still hot. I do think some natural light might be nice... so I'm wondering why a fella wouldn't use maybe 2' of the 'skylight' material they use for metal roofing at the top of the long walls... all the way down the building. Is there a good reason NOT to do that?

KC

Sounds like a good idea to me. Here is my barn wall.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

my take on this...

...is that there is a psychological value to having windows, even if you don't need the ventilation and even if there is nothing "nice" to see when you look outside. Windows create a sense of openness and connectedness to the world outside. The only thing that would cause me to omit them would be security concerns of the most extreme variety.

...and no, I don't make or sell windows

I suspected I wasn't the first to think of it.

I understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play.

KC

One shop I saw had the windows up high which served for natural light as well as people couldn't see inside easily, but at the same time it gave you that open feeling without the distractions of having windows at eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    I suspected I wasn't the first to think of it.

I understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play.

KC
    Well, bring them in and let them play in the shop!

My big retriever doesn't like to be in the shop with me. It might have something to do with the clamp I knocked off the bench onto his head.

I used a lot of windows for architectural/design reasons and found that the natural light is really nice, but I don't have wall space to hang cabinets. I have two 4'x4' skylights that provide wonderful natural light, that only occasionally, at the right azimuth, blind me with sunlight reflecting off the TS. Good luck, JCB.

You could have a look at some ribbed polycarbonate sheeting like Polygal or similar. As long as you fix it to your studs using tamper proof screws you should be in good shape.

Polygal has good imsulation properties as well.

Kirk, having natural light coming into your shop, particularly into your finishing area, will help when you are finishing products. If you are on 24" centers on your trusses/rafters, you can tuck some 2x4' skylights across the shop and in the finishing room--gives that sense of openness without distracting you from the puppies!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I'd be "lost" without natural light in my shop. Given I didn't build it, I do lack some wall space as a result. If I were building, I'd still have windows with many of them up higher on the wall and a few at normal height for the view...

Oh, to maximize space utilization when you do open the "big door", consider a roll-up rather than something overhead. Or a sliding "barn" door type arrangement that provides similar zero-space consumption.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

'Windows' in shop

K C I have a shop about the same size 22wx60Lx11T and no windows. Every time I go in there I wish I had windows. I would put the windows toward the top of the wall so you still have the wall space,storage cabinets,lumber racks ect. scrap the carport and make your shop 12' wider, you'll wish you did in a couple years.

K.C. I put 4 skylites in my new shop. It's 40x70. I seldom turn the lights on which is just as well since I haven't had time to put up very many. The downside is that in the summer when I walk under the skylites I can feel the difference in temp. I wouldn't be without them though.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My shop is part of a walk-out basement. I'm essentially underground. When I'm working it doesn't [seem to] bother me. But I do find myself taking a break and walking around the yard every now and then. The one end is a one-car garage door. In nice weather (and we have a lot of that in Arkansas) I'll open it. That's nice, fresh air and a partial sense of openess. Guess, I'm saying, it's yer choice mate.

KC, if you have windows and you don't want the distraction, you can always close curtains or blinds or whatnot.

If you don't have windows, you've lost the choice to look outside.
    It's a rather permanent decision.

I've got a basement shop, fully buried basement, one tiny window in a well. Boy, I wish I had windows so I could look outside every now and then.

II understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play.
    That's why putting them high on the wall will get you some light without, um...being as distracting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...