Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laguna, Minimax, and Agazanni Bandsaw oners please defend your purchase.

My MM16 will also probably be the last large bandsaw I will purchase. Local service here is a plus but I haven't needed anything from MM.
    I initially looked at the MM16 with the smaller motor but bought the 4.8 version on a special as the special price was little more.
    I've never used a Laguna or Agazanni though I looked at Laguna very seriously. I was turned off by many comments on various forums about their support and customer service.
    I bought the MiniMax for what it is...an industrial type machine. I've resawn 14" on it flawlessly and easily. 14" walnut with no change of pitch from the saw.
    I've looked at better finish on tools but love the MM for how it works. It works very well (for me).
    You have to buy what will fit your needs. I think MM fits my needs now and for the future.

I have owned three band saws; a old cast iron left handed saw, a brnad new laguna 24 and a MOAK super 36. The laguna was a great saw. Seen the other mm saws in the 16 to 24 " range and they also looked very decent. doors that don't shut are a problem, could just be one of those friday saws. have you considered a used machine? you may be able to get a more substantial saw for same money new. just a thought
    lou

As Lou said, it could be a Friday saw, or it could be it got tweeked during the shipment to the show. At the show here last year, they must have had 3 if not 4 MM16's, maybe one each of the MM20 and MM24's. Stand off and watch the salesman at the show. There are usually 2 or 3. You'll see how one or another deals with the customers. Pick the one that you feel gives the best information. All the ones I've talked to over the 3 years I've been to the show were all very knowedgeable. I have the E16. No, It's not in the same league as the main 3 your are looking at. But at the price I was able to get it at, I couldn't justify the wait for the MM16 that I truley wanted. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Please let me know what you think the differences are between the LT 18 and the Agazzani B-20. I'm especially interested in the overall frame stiffness and construction and would like to know if the fence on the Agg has any problems. Someone told me the support bar can flex. Also, how easily does the table tilt on the Agg? Is the quick release good and smooth? Any wobbling of the trunion? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by gregg feldstone
    Please let me know what you think the differences are between the LT 18 and the Agazzani B-20. I'm especially interested in the overall frame stiffness and construction and would like to know if the fence on the Agg has any problems. Someone told me the support bar can flex. Also, how easily does the table tilt on the Agg? Is the quick release good and smooth? Any wobbling of the trunion? Thanks!!
    Gregg,
    The 20" Agg has a lever and it is easy to tilt the table. I think the 18" requires a wrench. The fence is fine and plenty stiff. I saw a new model at the show yesterday and the fence was the same as mine,
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I had a Jet 18" and i developed serious vibration issues. Jet redeigned the frame and sent me a new model free.... It was great they shood behind their product. At that point I just wanted a better bandsaw....so I called Mark Duginske on the phone and he suggesed that I call Jesse at Eagle Tools and ask about the Aggazani and he suggested the 20" was a lot more saw than the 18".....Turned out that Jesse and I went to the same Universary and were in the same graduating class. I had the saw Jet sent me delivered to Jesse and he shipped it to a buyer I had lined up.....I saw Jesse at the Woodworking show yesterday in Costa Mesa and I left a deposit on the SawStop tablesaw...He sad he watched them for over a year....did a lot of research and now he is a SawStop dealer.
    Mark, welcome to the SawStop club...joe

Hell, i just follwed Mark Singer's advice and got the Agazzani. No regrets. Best advice - see what works for you!

Bob
    bob m

I have the MM16 and seriously doubt I'll ever have to buy another bandsaw. In my opinion, the Italian saws are the ultimate. I wanted plenty of HP for whatever I threw at it, and with 4.8, I have it. If I am not mistaken, $2100 for a new MM16 is a fantastic price. I sure thought the last time I priced them that they were 200-300 more than that. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe
    Sorry - defending my purchase of an LT-18 seems irrelevant to the question at hand. You need to choose what best fits your needs and budget.
    Steve
    Without question, the best advice in this thread.

Pete

A Laguna 16 is on Craig's list here in Costa Mesa for $900 (I think). I noticed it earlier this week so it might be sold.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rodney mitchell
    I have the MM16 and seriously doubt I'll ever have to buy another bandsaw. In my opinion, the Italian saws are the ultimate. I wanted plenty of HP for whatever I threw at it, and with 4.8, I have it. If I am not mistaken, $2100 for a new MM16 is a fantastic price. I sure thought the last time I priced them that they were 200-300 more than that. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Rodney
    Rodney,

It was $2-300 more, actually about $180 more since we have to pay sales taxes here in Texas on our MM buys.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Well if you think the Jet is so great, then buy it. I don't have to "defend" my bandsaw purchase to anyone xxxx.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-05-2006 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Removed "unnecessary" language

13. Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    Well if you think the Jet is so great, then buy it. I don't have to "defend" my bandsaw purchase to anyone xxxx.
    Bad day, huh? While the thread title is cute, it was an accident waiting to happen.

And while I won't even mention which saws I have, I'm not certain it matters unless one goes above the 18" size. I think the most bang for the buck is the Rikon 18" [nope, don't got one].

Above that and for the next higher price range, I would recommend basing the decision on after-sale support.

Take care, Mike

14. Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley
    Without question, the best advice in this thread.

Pete
    Agreed. Hell, I can't even defend the purchase of much of the machinery in my garage to SWMBO, yet alone to someone on this list . But, I went the used route for my bandsaw and got a 20" Centauro (which is much like a Minimax MM20) for $600. I invested another $75 in a motor and magnetic starter and got myself a wonderful, stable, quiet, cheap machine. Ken, I'd suggest you'd do the same; check out the used market in your area.
    Last edited by Robert MacKinnon; 11-05-2006 at 10:34 PM.
    - Robert

The more I learn about proper tensioning of vaious width saw blades, the more I appreciate my purchase of a MM16.

Some very good reading has come from the Iturra Design Bandsaw Accessory Catalog and Lonnie Bird's book. Get both of these reference books and you will understand what I am saying.

Joe