Thread: First Mini Lathe Turnings.

First Mini Lathe Turnings.

These were the first attempts at Birdhouse Ornaments, and also the first turnings to be done on my Jet VS Mini Lathe. What a wonderful little lathe the Mini is! I really like the VS feature, as it is very handy to have...........especially for sanding and finishing. Solid and well built machine. The first Ornament is turned from Locust, both top and bottom. The second Ornament has a Cherry Body and a Locust top. The third ornament has an Ash body and Elm Top. All 3 were finished with Tung Oil and buffed. Fun little things to turn! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin Gerstenecker; 10-26-2003 at 12:24 PM.

nice

more outstanding work. the acorn design is cool, too.

b

Does your family know that you'll be bringing a lathe along on vacations??

Seriously, great work! VS is absolutely a nice feature to have for any size turning...you can always get "just the right speed" for the operation at hand. I wouldn't be without it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Kevin

Excellent work again, K. Did you hinge the tops for easier clean-out or are they just sitting on the bases. What kind of perch peg you going to use? What size hole did you drill for entry? Why is the sky blue?

Just out of curiosity,, does your wife have an A.P.B. out on you for a missing persons? With all the shop time you put in, she probably thinks your missing.

PS,, (encripted code) The wood chips are in the house now. I'll restock your dust collector as soon as possible.
    Thanks, Doug
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 10-26-2003 at 2:54 PM.

Hey Kevin

Those are great. Now tell the truth. Angie made those right?

Terry

Thumbs up

Kevin,

Nice work as usual. My wife would say, "Those are sooooo cute!".

BTW, I thought that mini was supposed to be your wife's lathe.

Bob

Those look great! I have yet to try any of those on my lathe. All I've made so far is pens. Keep up the good work.

Matt

Jeeze Bob and Terry..................I'm just breakin' it in! I have to make sure it works correctly so Angie doesn't get hurt or anything. Actually, I whined and whined, and she caved in and let me use it..........but I had to turn Ornaments for her.........darn the luck! Thanks for the compliments, as always, it is very much appreciated.

Doug, the tops are glued to the body of the Ornament. These will likely end up on this years Christmas Tree. I think I will turn some walnut pegs for a perch, should I decide to add them. The smaller, all Locust ornament has a smaller hole than the other 2. My goal was to make the entry hole size proportionate to the Ornament, and I am not really sure what the sizes are...............I just eyeballed a couple of Brad Point Bits.........said, "This looks about right", and drilled the holes with the Drill Press. My Wife, Angie, found some tiny birds in one of my Turning Catalogs that would perfect for adding to a perch. That should look really neat on the Christmas Tree!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Kevin,

Great looking work. Looks like you have left the "Flat World".
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution