Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12" CMS Delta or Dewalt

12" CMS Delta or Dewalt

I have decided to go with a 12" CMS. The sliders are just too big for me for transportation and storage. I have found 2 12" CMS that can crosscut a 2x10.

The Delta 36-422L
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5974

and the Dewalt DW716
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/woodworking/mitersaw/?tourNo=2
    The Dewalt is a little tricky to get that full cut but is about $40 cheaper.
    Does anyone have either of these? What are your reccomendations.
    Thanks,
    David

I had an old Craftsman 10" - moved up to a 12" - did a lot of searching - really liked teh sliders - but didn't want too spend twice as much for a slider. I looked at them all - alot of teh sliders have too much wiggle - so I ended up with the Delta 36-422L - the double lasers are awesome - not to be confused with adding an irwin laser to the side - these are mounted high so you really see exactly where the blade will cut - I love it - I save so much time - just fire it up and move it under the laser and boom.

I have the Delta tool. I bought it because I wanted a 12" CMS and it was being closed out at my local Lowes. I like it because it seems to be well thought out in detail. Mine is very accurate and has no runout that I can detect. Ergonomically, it is also very good with a comfortable grip and smooth edges where hands go. Both miter adjustment actions are smooth with positive stops. I bolted mine to a "Miter Saw Utility Vehicle" from Home Depot and together they are very useful, fast and accurate.

I have zero brand loyalty and have a rainbow of power tools. I'm pretty sure that there are many very good miter saws...this one is as good as I could ask for.

- Andy

I have the Delta. I like it a lot. Like Andrew, I have a "rainbow" of branded tools within the shop, so brand loyaly is really never the issue. I can tell you that the dual lasers on the Delta/Porter Cable units are really sweet. It might seem hoky at first glance, but I can't imagine not having it now.

The sliders just take up too much room in my case; so from there it was a matter of the most useful standard 12" CMS.

my 2 cents,

Jim in Idaho

I use a Dewalt 12" CMS primarily for deck work in the summer season in Flagstaff. I researched various CMS name brands when I bought and settled on the Dewalt for several reasons. Most importantly I liked the Dewalt handle and switch arrangement - it felt good to me and did not have a lock button to operate the switch. I move the saw to job sites, and the Dewalt was the lightest of the saws I looked at. It is not what you would call a lightweight saw, but it is reasonably portable. I owned several other Dewalt tools and like the relaibility.

Since buying it I have used it on lots of jobs. I have been totally satisfied. I added a Dewalt portable miter saw stand and like that as well.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I am close to buying the DW 716 [that is unless I get a big job and opt for the slider that cuts 16"]. I have researched them extensively and find no easier saw to use and transport.

I had the same debate last May and ended up with the Metabo 12" CSMS.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Wow, they are proud of that saw!

Looks a little like the DW table and rail/head design. What made you opt for that one if I may ask? I didn't even know they made one!

Well I ordered the 12" Delta from the woodworking show this weekend, they had it down to $350. Unfortunatly they were also out of them at the show and at their store so I have to wait a couple weeks for it to come in, but for $25 cheaper than I could get it elseware its worth the wait for me.

I have the Delta. After a couple of years my lasers are out. I have some other problems also. The newer saws look like they have some slight design changes, hopefully it will be for the better.
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 11-06-2006 at 9:22 AM.
    Jay St. Peter

Delta Twin Laser Saws

I have the single bevel version. I discovered that the laser power pack is powered up whenever the saw is plugged in. The switch is between the power pack and lasers. Putting the switch before the power pack would have made better sense, but no one asked me I wonder if this is contributing to the premature laser failures. That shouldn't matter, but..........

As a weekend wonder, I find the twin lasers useful. They run a line down any vertical surface so if you don't have a mark exactly where the blade touches the piece, no problem. This is the only CMS I've used except for a ProTech(harbor freight equivalent). I'm sure there are better but I got mine when Lowes was blowing them out.

HTH

Curt

I"m also looking at both saws. I have an old Delta from when the CMS were first hitting the market and I hate it. The presets are not accurate and not adjustable, and the motor vibrates badly on startup and it's noiser than any router.

Can owners of either saw comment on the noise?

Also, I would only be using the saw occasionally for construction type work. I use my radial arm saw for all cutoff work. Are there any ideas on storage as I don't have bench top space for it.

The DW's are very quiet. Being belt drive they are more pwerful as well.

I have the Delta. I have found that it does not hold setting the way I want/need it to. Thus, it gets used for rough cuts only.

I have a 12" Delta 36-235 and don't like it

I bought it in '98 and have considered it a mistake ever since. I cannot even make an accurate 90 degree cut. It's very close, but just off the money enough to show up when precision is needed. Once I got a starret engineer's square I was able to figure out the problem: the center base is warped. Don't know how to fix it. Still, with a good blade it makes a clean cut. If I were to replace it today, I would look carefully at a Bosch or DeWalt CMS or SCMS.