Thread: Help me with oil / lubricants

Help me with oil / lubricants

I have never really understood how to maintain my machines via periodic oiling and maintenance. I know that there is a need to keep certain parts lubricated, but my complete lack of understanding of the different properties of all the various oils and lubricants keeps me from doing anything at all.

For example, there is a "gel-like" lubricant on the bladeguard assembly of my Rikon bandsaw. It looks kinda like white crisco oil. It is actually getting a bit mucked up with sawdust, but, since I don't know what it is or more correctly, what to replace it with, I just leave it. In similar fashion, my DeWalt scroll saw has some form of lubricant on the metal portion of the top arm. Again, no clue.

Can someone give comment on the basics of maintenance lubrication and the different types of oils that can / should be used?

There's a whole lot of information and research and knowledge "out there" when it comes to different types of lubricants. Far more than I'm capable of discussing. In general: Any kind of lubricant is better than no lubricant. If you're afraid of getting the wrong kind of lubricant and thus not lubricating at all, I'd say put "somthing" in there, you'll be better off.

White lithium grease and 3 in 1 oil will lubricate just about any machinery I can think of in a typical wood shop. White lithium grease is probably what you're seeing on the bandsaw. If you keep those two items around it should simplify your maintenance chores and you won't be terribly far off the mark.

Gear cases (if there are any on your equipment) will of course take a heavier oil, but that will be called out in your manual. Remember that WD 40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.

If you're really interested in different types of lubricants take a look at some of the major manufacturer's websites. You'll find plenty to read there.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

At the Woodshow - Kelly Mehler was doing the seminars at the Delta Exhibit. He wrote a book on tablesaws. He spoke on lubricating table saws, and said all you inner gears, etc.. need to be lubricated with a "Dry Lubricant" - he then went on to grab his can of Johnson Paste wax and say that's what he uses. That thrilled me since I have that already for the top of my tablesaw.