Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Drawer Shaker Table, Norm Style

Single Drawer Shaker Table, Norm Style

The last time I posted pics, it was two hours of frustration. Now, after reading Vaughn's fine tutorial, I am going to try another attempt. Thanks, Vaughn, for your good work.

I am known as the slowest woodworker in the west, but recently my wife has told me that I am not allowed to start new projects until I complete my backlog. So, I am attempting to do just that.

I actually finished this table last year, after starting it in early 2004. It is loosely based on Norm's Shaker (of course) bedside table, with the dimensions stretched a little bit.

The legs are 26 inches tall, with a 3/4 inch top, for a total of 26 and 3/4, about right for a nightstand or table next to a chair.

There are some things I would now do differently. Notice the rails above and below the drawer are orientated vertically. After attending Kelly Mehler's writing desk class, I now orient my rails above and below my drawers horizontally. This piece also has round pegs to lock the tennons, now I use square sometimes, although most of the Shaker pieces I have seen use round.

The drawers have hand cut dovetails. When I practice, I can do some fairly decent ones, but if I don't do them for a few months, I get worse. I think if I did them everyday, it would help a lot.

The first pic I will attempt shows the front quarter view of the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

The second shot shows a view of the open drawer with some hand cut dovetails. You can also see the bullnose edge treatment on the top.

The inside front of the drawer has a cove cut out, another technique learned from Kelly Mehler. You can barely see the knob that I turned myself after excellent instruction from the esteemed Bill Grumbine.

On my next table, I would reduce the front overhang, to allow easier access to the drawer.
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 11-05-2006 at 11:53 PM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Here is the third and final shot, which shows off the bookmatched cherry top with some knots that I like. The top started out about 16 x 24, but was reduced a little when I had some tearout issues with the bullnose treatment.

Again, thanks to Vaughn for the excellent picture posting tutorial.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Very nice Martin, that is a beautiful piece for sure. Top notch all the way from the legs, the DT's and the top. Very nice indeed.

corey

Nice looking table Martin!

Very nice, Martin! I love Shaker style furniture!
    Keel McDonald ><>

Beautiful piece! I love the simple elegance, and great craftsmanship. The figure in the top is really beautiful. Did you resaw the wood yourself?

Hans

picture posting tutorial

Martin,

Please direct me to the tutorial.

Don Boys

Hi Martin, Great job. Nice to get the backlog out of the way. I like your wife's way of thinking. Good excuse for tossing the other honey do list to work more in the shop.
    take care,
    John

Martin your table looks great. I have been thinking of something similar but it would have to be only 12"-14" deep front to back because it would be to put in our hall way.

Are you aware that you can post up to 5 pictures in one post?

I size most of my pictures 640 x 480 pixels & can fit 5 in a post.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-06-2006 at 9:19 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece Martin. Does the cove on the drawer front serve a functional purpose or is it just for looks? Very good work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Martin, great job on this table! The handcut dovetails look great. And the delicacy of the knob is just right for this piece. I prefer the dimensions of the Moser version better than the "Norm" version, but that's just a personal thing. I made four of them through the years but decided I like the Moser dim. better and started building them instead. Regardless, your workmanship is really showing in the details of this piece - the cove on the drawer is a nice touch as well.

Did I see a branded drawer there as well?

Very, very nice!

Martin,
    You did a great job on the table! I like the finish and the craftsmanship shown. The detail on the top of the drawer is very nice; it adds a touch that I didn't use on mine. I wish that I had. The dovetails are top drawer (they would have been even if it were on a bottom drawer)! The top looks great.

What did you do to finish the project?

Good job! Back to the to-do list!
    Warren

Great work, Martin.

It's interesting seeing the differences in this "Norm" design versus the Thos Moser that I've built a few of. The one that jumps out the most is in the apron above and below the drawer...thicker on your table. When I look at various books documenting Shaker style/design, the variation is quite striking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Martin, excellent job. Your family will cherish it, I am sure.
    Ken