Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My crazy luck and the SawSwap

Well now, I'm green (or is that black?) with envy! I think you'll really like that unit! As for getting through really thick stock, if you don't already have one, pick up a Forrest 20-tooth ripping blade and dedicate it for just that. WOW, like cutting through butta', I tell 'ya! Congrats Mark...It will look awesome in your shop! (errrrrrrrrrr....Studio!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

What do they say? "It is better to be lucky than good!"

Someday, when I get my own stand alone shop, I'd like a Sawstop. Of course, if money were no object, I'd love a Felder!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Alan,
    Thanks for all your advice on the SawStop. I did go with the SawStop fence. Jesse said it is even better than a Bies! I looked at the Incra Fence and it was a little too techy for my simple brain! So a got the basic unit 3 HP ...that way I don't have to listen to the pase converter , cyclone and saw running simultaneously
    I was able to buy a 5HP 1PH sawstop. I havent' tried to rip thick stock yet, but the 5HP motor looks to be the same size physically as the 3HP, and both are smaller than the 3HP Baldor that was on my Powermatic 66. Anyone here know how much correlation there is to motor size and HP?

Mark, I've been thinking alot about buying the SS. And I also worry about my son Ben, using a TS....Thanks for sharing your story and good fortune. I think we have alot to do with the "luck" we get. Sounds like you made a great choice. Please post what you think of the saw after some use.
    Ken

Mark, I hope you like the Sawstop as much as we do, every time I turn it off
    with my left thigh I think about just how well designed it is.
    What’s not to love?
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

SawStop

Did you see Time Magazine has named the SawStop one of 2006 Best Inventions in its latest issue? Imagine that, a woodworking tool in a news magazine. Must be a first.
    Congratulations on your new saw, and great luck.
    Jim M

SawStop fence

Mark, congrats on the new saw and selling the old one as you bought the new one! I have a sawstop with the sawstop fence. The face on the fence was not flat, out by like .005 so I took off the face and checked the metal part of the fence. Part of the problem was a build up of paint at both ends. I used a fine file to remove some of the paint and then some brass shim material to get it straignt and flat. Other than that I really like the fence as you can totally adjust it to get it square with the blade and the table and all the parts are heavier material that the Biesmeyer fence that I looked at. When my saw was delivered one of the faces on the fence was damaged, sawstop over-nighted a new one to me with no questions asked .

Nice gloat, Mark. I looked at one, and would have liked to have gotten one, but the price put it out of my reach at the time. I'm very happy with my General 650, but I feel a little twinge of regret when I read things like this.

Maybe when my son gets a bit older, I'll take the plunge. Post pics and impressions when the big black toy arrives.
    Where did I put that tape measure...