Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My crazy luck and the SawSwap

My crazy luck and the SawSwap

Yes SawSwap not SawStop.....well actually both

So I am at the WW Show in Costa Mesa and Jesse from Eagle tools has all of his great stuff...Aggazani Bandsaws, General Stuff and to my surprise is now carrying the SawStop which I really wanted to buy! So I look it over and it looks excellent! They run it and it sounds excellent! A young lady from SawStop performs the now famous "hot dog test" ....a large crowd forms around her and the saw. "Bang" it blew everybody away. So I do the inevitable....order one!
    Well the two guys ask me "So your going to get the SawStop"? I say "yes...why take any chances and sometimes my son, Ryan uses it also" They ask, "what saw do you have now?" ....I reply a "Powermatic 66"... They say "Just what we wanted to buy" ...I say " Do you want to buy mine?" wellguess what? ...Yes the new ones are about $2600 and we agreed on $1400 so it is a done deal and they are coming today! SawStop arrives tomorrow!
    BTW...the price on the SawStop is fixed like Festool and the are no discounts... I am ok with that since I really want the extra safety. It also looks and runs like the best of the cabinet saws I have seen, aside of the safety features.
    So another interesting win ....win...stroke of luck!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Congrats on the new saw Even better is that you made a deal on the old saw so quickly!

Sometimes things just fall into place

Mark,
    I think you will like it. Did you get the SS fence? While I have been a bit critical of it, Steve Gass has just about convinced me that I was wrong and that it is a good fence.

Blow out the inside with compressed air, through the throat plate, from time to time and it will keep the riving knife easily removable.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 11-08-2006 at 9:15 AM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Mark,
    I think you will like it. Did you get the SS fence? While I have been a bit critical of it, Steve Gass has just about convince me that I was wrong and that it is a good fence.

Blow out the inside with compressed air, through the throat plate, from time to time and it will keep the riving knife easily removable.

Enjoy.
    Alan,
    Thanks for all your advice on the SawStop. I did go with the SawStop fence. Jesse said it is even better than a Bies! I looked at the Incra Fence and it was a little too techy for my simple brain! So a got the basic unit 3 HP ...that way I don't have to listen to the pase converter , cyclone and saw running simultaneously

Mark,
    I will be interested to see how the SS 3hp does on the 8/4 Wenge. I have the 5 hp, and have to rip 12/4 hard maple and even 12/4 mahogany pretty slowly, although that is not necessarily such a bad thing.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    So a got the basic unit 3 HP ...that way I don't have to listen to the pase converter , cyclone and saw running simultaneously
    My thoughts exactly.......although I thought you'd get the 5hp 1 ph.....

Once again - right place - right time!! Good Story! I'm glad you could buy from Jesse.

Looks like there were a couple of lucky parties involved, you and the buyer of your saw. You for getting rid of your "outgoing" saw and the buyer for snagging a good deal on a high quality component. I've been noodling the SawStop also but there are a few things keeping me from it for now, food, gas for the car, house payments, peace w/SWMBO, kid's college fund, etc...
    Jim

Mark,

You'll love the saw out of the box, and much more so the more you use it.

The stock fence is, like the rest of the machine, a precise beast. I'm not sure how it got a bad reputation. Perhaps there was a different frence on the earliest units?

I hope they use really cheap blades when doing in the hot dogs...

Hi Mark,
    You are going to love your new saw, fence included. If you need mobility, the HTC designed for the SS has worked very well for me. I don't have to move it often but is almost effortless when I need to. I was interested in improving the DC above the table and contacted Lee Styron , the Sharkguard innovator, about developing a bladeguard with good dust collection design that is held in the riving knife/bladeguard clamp. My DC drops from above so I can suspend the flextube easily and wouldn't need an arm system for support. He sent an insert prototype and I haven't done any further developement with it. After you are up and running, let me know if you are interested in any improvement in DC from above and maybe we can get Lee involved again. Congrats again. John.

Mark

Congrats on the new saw! Did the have the "soon to be released" contractor saw on display? I'm interested in the safety but can't swing the cabinet version.

Jay

Sometimes everything goes right...I'm happy for you, Mark. Congratulations....Enjoy your new tool safely
    Jerry

Congratulation Mark!!

I look forward to the update(s) on how the saw performs for you.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Gotta love getting a new toy,,err tool I did sort of the same thing, when I bought my Uni at the auction last year, I sold my rigid contractor saw to a guy there. He picked it up that night

Congrats on the new saw, Mark!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone! The guys came today and picked up the Powermatic...I was sorry to see it go....it was a great saw! Nice father and son team....they will probably join SMC...I showed them the website. Jerry May Senior and Junior...they live in Wrightwood.