Thread: Shaker Carrier and Two Oval Boxes

Shaker Carrier and Two Oval Boxes

A year or so ago, I took John Wilson's Shaker Oval Box Class. It is a two day course, easy enough for beginners, and lots of fun. Actually, I took it twice, once at Kelly Mehler's, and once at Marc Adams. They were two different courses. One made a set of oval boxes and the other made a large carrier, a tray, and a presentation box, which was a rather oblong oval box. Anyway, I like making the boxes, although there are a lot of individual steps involved.

Here are pictures of three I made last year for teacher Christmas gifts. It is about time to work on this year's.

The first pic is a carrier, the second pic has a birdseye top, the third has a curly cherry top. All are #4 size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, they look great. I have made a number of these over the years as they make great gifts. I really like the look of the birds-eye. Nice choice.

Now concerning your classes... is there a class you haven't taken? Man, I'd love to have the education you've had in woodworking. You've certainly learned from many of the modern day masters. Congrats. I'm more than a little jealous Thanks for sharing what you've learned with us!

Jason, I take classes so I can get some shop time!

Seriously, I am only signed up for one next year. CH Becksvoort is teaching his clock class at Kelly Mehler's, care to join me? Bring your family on the great cross country adventure you've always wanted to take, and they can find plenty to do in the Berea area while you work (play?) at school. How about it?

I know you could build the clock blindfolded, but spending a week with CHB makes it worth my time and money. Think about it, at least.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Yum! Very nice!! I really like that one in the middle with the figured lid, too!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like a blast!!! I would truly enjoy it, that's for sure. But I have some major trips already planned for next summer. But I'll check the dates just to needlessly tempt myself. It would be nice to take the class with someone that I know. Is he building the clock with the expensive movement or is that up to you?

Jason, as far as I know, the movement is up to you. It would be great to finally meet the Master Tuinstra!

Chris also likes to teach at Gary Rogowski's in Portland, Oregon, which might be closer for you. I don't think they have their schedule finalized yet, though.
    Martin, Granbury, TX