Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using MS Visio to design your work

Using MS Visio to design your work

I have never worked with Visio, but see that many folks here use it often. I'd like to have such a tool at my disposal, but am not interested in a long, steep learning curve. How easy and intuitive is Visio for someone with no CAD experience?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

VISIO is not a CAD system. It's a drawing program designed to support things like network diagrams, flow charts, organization charts, etc. You'll likely find that many of the folks who use it to draw anything for woodworking also use it at work to draw networks, etc. (I used to use it that way early on for woodworking, switched to CAD and now use SketchUp!...the latter is available for free now from Google.com)

That said, VISIO is easy to use, but not best suited for dimentionally accurate work. If you don't own it...it's not inexpensive...so I wouldn't recommend a purchase if you have no need for it's primary strengths. I still use it for developing drawings for communication systems but for nothing else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Can SketchUp! indicate lengths? If so, I assume they are not calculated by the software, but merely manually entered?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

SketchUp! supports full dimensioning...it will do the work for you and you can also enter specific dimensions while drawing to adjust line length, etc. While it has a learning curve like any program, it's much more intuitive than CAD since you can just sketch...(the name should be a clue on that... )...and with some practice, you can do some pretty detailed work. Dave's tutorials in the Design Forum here at SMC are excellent over and above the training available online from the vendor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love SketchUp but sometimes it's hard getting used to the 3D aspect. There are times when I want a straight on 2-D view that's accurate to scale.

For those times I use Smart Draw http://smartdraw.com/ It's kind of a Visio wannabe. I'm using an old version (didn't feel the need to pay for upgrades). I think mine cost about $100 but just checked the web site and the new version is twice that. Don't know what visio costs.

Several years ago I created a set of master shapes for use in Visio that were used in the telepnohe industry. The learning curve is shallow, but the program is designed to do schematic layout, not demensional designs. I have done a building using it and some other small projects, but it is not the easiest to do this with. It will work, but there are better things, much cheaper.

CPeter

Blog Entries
    Glen,

I've used Visio for years but, big surprise, I'm a Network Engineer. If you are new to CAD, Visio and Sketchup; I'd go with Sketchup. I've only played with it a bit and would probably use it but I'm already familiar with Visio and can make it do what I'm after. CAD is much more precise and powerful and exceeds the things I need to do and like you, I'm not up for the learning curve.

I do however enjoy the rather detailed shapes that the user community has put together for Visio. They all scale automatically and cool stuff like that. Another upside to Sketchup. . . the price is right. Play with it for awhile. If you exceed it's abilities too quickly, then go for something else.

P.s. My Dad is 82 years old and took to Visio like a duck to water. That would be my recommendation if SU doesn't do the trick. Just my .02.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-08-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use delta cad you can try it free I think for 30 days. sells for 40.00
    Stacey

Sketchup is the bees knees for 3d work and while it has a learning curve, you can do powerful stuff right from the beginning. With the help of guys like Dave and his tutorials and hints in the Design Forum you can do amazing drawing which I have found really helps solve design problems.

3d isn't always what I want though. For 2d work, I have been using Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) which is open source software. It's a "Scalable Vector Graphics" program meant primarily for graphic design. I use it to design signs and to produce orthographic drawings for shop use. The big advantage is that I can make something 1.625 inches on the screen then print it and it will measure exactly 1.625 inches. Another thing I love about it is that I can scan a drawing which I made on paper, then I can turn it into a computer accurate graphic.

The trouble I have is when I'm using both Sketchup and Inkscape at the same time. Their interfaces are very different.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Visio

I tend to disagree with the replies regarding Visio. Originally Microsoft bought the company for its networking apps, but the new versions have all the architectural and engineering templates and dimensioning tools you'll ever need.

We use it work for lab designs as it has tons of stencils included. The basic Visio edition is severely crippled and perhaps the other members used this version. You can try a free version here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...687261033.aspx

Cad is nice but the learning curve is steep and frustrating and you really don't need 3D which cad is all about.

On the other hand it's not cheap, unless you know someone who works for Microsoft or you can buy Microsoft from work, many companies which have to have a site license, might offer greatly discounted software. Mine cost $40, but retail is not cheap $400 from CDW.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

Having used Visio through its various stages I also really like it. Then again, I've used it for years and am comfortable with it. I assume like me, you've found some of the great stencils out there for our hobby. If "one-N-Glen" can get a copy cheaply or tries out the demo, he may just become a fan as well.

"Double-N-Glenn"
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    SketchUp! supports full dimensioning...it will do the work for you and you can also enter specific dimensions while drawing to adjust line length, etc. While it has a learning curve like any program, it's much more intuitive than CAD since you can just sketch...(the name should be a clue on that... )...and with some practice, you can do some pretty detailed work. Dave's tutorials in the Design Forum here at SMC are excellent over and above the training available online from the vendor.
    I see references to the tutorial but where exactly is the tutorial?

Thanks

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    ...How easy and intuitive is Visio for someone with no CAD experience?
    I have no Visio experience, but I am a DeltaCAD user. I think you will find that none of the drawing packages that can be used for dimensioned design of woodworking projects will be "easy and intuitive...for someone with no CAD experience". They all have a learning curve, and require a basic understanding of mechanical drawing, IMHO. That said, DeltaCAD, as someone mentioned, has a fully functional free trial version, that includes a practical exercise as a tutorial. I'd recommend that you try the DeltaCAD tutorial and see for yourself how it works for you. DeltaCAD is two-dimensional, which is fine for designing projects, again IMHO. I am a mechanical engineer, schooled in mechanical drawing for several semesters, so I had a head start. Then again, school was many, many years ago. I had not used mechanical drawing or any CAD program since college. I found DeltaCAD relatively easy to learn and it has satisfied my needs from simple cabinet drawings to plan submissions for building permits for deck construction.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk
    I see references to the tutorial but where exactly is the tutorial?
    Take a look at this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43655

It is very instructive. I owe a lot to Dave for what I've learned in the tutorial, in his other postings, and he has personally answered questions for me when I've been confused. (Which is often.)
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Thank you John and Jim.

FWIW, SketchUp is perfectly capable of drawing in 2D if that's the way a user wants to use it. Turn off Perspective under Camera and use one of the orthogonal views.

When you have perspective turned off you can print to scale, too.

As Jim said, SU supports full dimensioning. They aren't just manually entered.