I am currently working on some plans for two nice hallway tables. They will be somewhat artsy/contemporary in design. For the first, I was planning on using a beautiful piece of Bubinga that I bought. I will have some curved 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick legs. I want something with a grain to compliment the circular/burl grain in the Bubinga. I was leaning towards Tiger Maple, but not sure and I am also having a tough time locating in the area. Any thoughts? I want it to be a lite color to contrast with the reddish color of the top. The table will have a small shelf at the bottom, also trying to decide if that should match the top our the base. I will use M&T joints and will plan on having them thru in the front and want to have some keys of another color. Ideas there too? Still thinking about the finish, but I want it durable.

The second table will have a Maple top of some sorts, again I want some figure here. This table will be a floating table design. I plan to have a black base. Not sure what I should use for wood and/or stain. I thought about Oak and then spraying so you can see the grain. Also thought about dyes. Finally, the table will be supported by pieces of either Purple Heart or dyed purple ???? Again, I plan to use M&T jointery and want them through type with colored keys.

I have not ebonized anything, so not sure of the process and best type of wood for that. Any ideas?