Thread: Magnetic Knife Holder

Magnetic Knife Holder

Or...How to make something simple and cheap to buy...very expensive.

While celebrating Veterans Day and the Marine's Birthday I got some shop time for a change. Figured I do something that's been on the list for a couple of years. We gutted the old kitchen (see http://www.pbase.com/gclabo/kitchen ) a few years ago and we've wanted a better way to hold knives than the old maple block. Sometimes I can make a simple little project difficult...but I'm stubborn and didn't want to just buy a normal magnetic holder...

So here's what I started with...I took some cherry and built 4 - 11 inch pieces that match the cabinets.
    threeleft.jpg
    I know there's only three...but I'll get to that.

Next I made a VERY simple template to drill some starter holes.
    Template2.jpg

I set things up on the little drill press for starter holes and then bored them out to the size of the magnets that I bought from Lee Valley.
    Makesomeholes.jpg

Took a little dab of epoxy and inserted the magnets. Lee Valley also sells little black no slip dots that I think are to be used behind the magnets when you use the little cups that they also sell...but I thought I might use them in another way.
    Afterepoxy.jpg

To be continued....
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Magnetic Knife Holder ... Page 2...

I don't know which one I like best so I'll let DRLOML figure that out...but what do you think?
    blackdots.jpg
    nodots.jpg

I don't think they will look too bad in any case once the decision is made. I think we'll need all three so I'll mount them on both sides of the sink.

Anyway...just to show how the best laid plans can go wacko...here's what happened to the first piece I made. I really wanted to make it so it was just wood. I thought I could get the magnets close enough to the surface that they would would be powerful enough to hold. I had to get them pretty close but it was working great. I was inserting the magnets and tapping them in on the old bench...then I decided I didn't want to mark up the surface as I tapped them to the bottom. So I put the piece on a router mat and went at it...until all the magnets were in...and then I turned the piece over and ....
    Bummer.jpg

It seems the face was a little too thin...and I had just spent 10 minutes blowing the face off the wood. DUH! Oh well...live and learn, eh?

If you want to steal the idea and market it...feel free. I'd say $20.00 parts and $500.00 labor would be about right.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

They both look nice but I think that I like the one with silver magnets.

How did you attach them to the cabinet?

The second one looks slicker to me.

However, I would end up being the one who turns around to push a button on the microwave and puts my hand a little too far to the right.

Have you tried Red Breast?

Double backed tape...for now. I'm waiting for direction.

I'll screw from inside when final.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Actually Matt...there's no way you could do that...the angle and edge of the cab is such that you would have to try to run into it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Yup...good stuff.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Very nice Glenn,

Seems to me your design will be easy on the eyes...I mean easy to get the knife in the holder without squinting or grabbing for your glasses as I would have to do with a traditional knife holder design.

I also like the silver button style and I would reverse the direction of the knife edge if it was me, pointy edge up and cutting edge toward the wall.

Very Nice,
    Keith

You could try puting a piece of veneer on the face to cover the magnets if you wanted the all wood look.

Trust me Keith...the Ph.D. in nursing made the same comment...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thought about that...but I'm kind of liking the look as is.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn,

Fun story to read. My vote is for the second one - minus the no-slip pads. It's a great idea. I can see where these would come in handy. Good job.

I like the silver magnets better - cleaner look, and goes better with the microwave.

Pretty slick idea, overall. Wouldn't work at my house, though - my autistic son would find a way to get to the new bright shiny object. Not ready a trip to the ER anytime soon.

Anyway, great job - very nice!

Cheers,
    Jesse