Thread: Tools to start

Tools to start

Hi Guys, I am just getting into this...and was curious if you had any suggestions on which 3-4 tools to begin turning with. I plan on doing a few things between the centers to get a feeel for this (I haven't been at a lathe in 30 years since shop class) turning candle holders, tool handles. things like that first. aas I get better. I will try to toss my hollow forms into the ring. etc... but for now. what tools (and makers) would you recommend
    Thanks

Jeff

Jeff......Welcome to the Vortex! I was advised and others since me to buy a cheap set of HSS (High Speed Steel) tools to begin and learn to sharpen. I would also recommend a slow speed grinder and sharpening jig set. HF sells a cheap set of turning tools for $35-38 and others have also bought a set from PSI labeled Benjamin's Best. I bought a Woodcraft slow speed grinder ....it's often on sale in the $89 range. I bought and have been very happy with the Wolverine sharpening jig system. There are others out there. Turning with dull tools takes the fun out of it very quickly! The sharpening jig shortens the learning curve, sharpening time and gets the same bevel every time when used properly. I'm sure others will jump in with more advice! Good luck with you journey back into turning!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You're really going to need 5 tools, but for the first 3-4 tools I'd suggest a good 1/2" bowl gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge, a 3/4" or 1" skew, and a parting tool. Buy some good ones and they just might last the rest of your life.

I do about 90% of all my turning, from just rounding square stock to roughing bowls to finish cuts, with a 1/2" bowl gouge. But once you get back into turning you'll develop your own style and can decide what other specialty tools you want to get.

That 5th tool you'll need is a Visa card with a healthy credit limit!

I agree with Ken and Curt. The only thing I would add to what Curt said was I would get a 1/2" & 3/8" bowl gouge, a 1/2" and 3/8" spindle gouge, a good skew like Raffans and a good parting tool. Like Curt 90% of the work I do is with those tools. Of course the most important tool of all is your Visa or Mastercard.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I forgot the first thing you should get is Richard Raffan's book "Turning Wood".

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-R...e=UTF8&s=books

or

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Raffan...e=UTF8&s=books

It will give you an overview on how to properly choose your lathe and tools. It will really save you a lot of money in the long run.

If I will start over...that is the way I'll do it. Asking on the forum is good too but sometimes, you just don't know which one to listen to.
    Dario

I would vote Benjamin's best 3/4" bowl gouge, and a round nosed scraper for bowls, and the harbor freight (HF) 8 piece HSS tool set for spindle work and complementing the other two tools on bowls. It's important to get a real bowl gouge and scraper since they are much longer and heavier tools than the HF set, but the HF set has a bunch of more specialty tools. I currently have that set-up minus the round nosed scraper, and I'm doing fine. The scraper is in the near future though.
    Also, get yourself a set of jaws, such as the Grizzly chuck, which are the best jaws you can get for the money (~$50). I do 90% or more of my work with the bowl gouge, and the HF set is good for everything else.

You'll also need a grinder
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com