Thread: 5 1/2c

Unhappy 5 1/2c

How much would you pay for a Type 11 Stanley 5 1/2C with a weld, incorrect tote, and a homemade lateral adjuster? ...I don't want to talk about it. The good news is it's my first V trademark tool and it has a good frog, yoke, adjusting wheel, cap iron, mildly short blade, and low knob! Any way I thought I would share my experience so everyone would remember to throughly check your tools before purchasing. I did get a nice little Type 2 MF number 9 though!

-Ryan C.

That's definitely a user plane and would have no value to a collector. 5 1/2 planes are pretty common, even the type 11. With all those defects, it wouldn't be worth much, maybe $10 - $20 to someone who would be looking for a user.

But that's just my opinion - you never know until you put it up for sale.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Five bucks

I was only over by five bucks(25.00)... I might part it off. I kind of like that little adjustment wheel and low knob!

-Ryan C.

The knob and tote alone are worth $45 if it's the original rosewood. Nicely shaped totes in that era.

I was only over by five bucks

Over? Pshaw. That's a fair price for a good user plane in my book.

If the weld was done carefully and properly, and the tote is secure, what's the problem? Were you hoping for a "collectible"?

Bet if you searched you could find an antique tool dealer with "proper" casting that would "complete" your plane for another $10.
    ~Dan

The tote isn't original. It's too small, but it feels solid. The weld actually doesn't look that bad, I guess thats why I didn't notice it. I was only buying it to be stubborn... I really like the V logo. Thanks for the encouragement.

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

Hi Ryan, Please understand my slightly jaded viewpoint when reading my comments below. I live in an area (southern NH) where there are 3 old tool auctions per year and another 4 within a 2.5 hour drive. There are also 2 old tool dealers within a 40 minute drive.

Most of the Stanley bench planes 2-8 and the block planes were made for long periods of time between 60-125 years and total production runs of each were well over a million units. With the exception of some of the special versions they are the oposite of rare. I normally counsel patience when buying old tools because the high manufacturing volumes mean prices should be (though not always are) reasonable. If you are willing to wait, planes with all of the correct parts, no major defects in the metal parts, and in reasonable condition should be available readily from a dealer, eBay, or at a local flea market. By reasonable condition I mean no cracks or breaks in the castings, totes and knobs either intact or with repairable cracks and breaks, and any rust readily removable without leaving major pits in the blade. Listed below are some of the average prices I see in NH for planes which would be able to be cleaned and tuned in under 2-3 hours to a usable condition.

#3 small smoother $45-75
    #4 smoother $20-50
    #4 1/2 smoother $55-100
    #5 Jack plane $20-45
    #6 Fore plane $35-65
    #7 Jointer $60-95
    #8 large jointer $50-90
    Common block planes $10-40
    The caveat is that all corrugated bottom planes are more expensive, and the Bedrock planes are significantly more expensive.

These planes are common enough that there should be no need to buy a plane in the fair to poor condition range.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I understand your point of view. One dealer I buy from off the Internet has group shots of the things he finds in one day(He lives in Connecticut) and they are about the size of what I have found in Kentucky for the 2+ plus years that I've been into old tools. Like I stated before I was just being stubborn because I like the V-logo and low knob so much. I think my examination was askew because of these likes. Thank you for your comments.

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

If it's any consolation, all of us have gotten burned in a purchase like yours at one time or another. It's all just part of the education. Years from now, you'll be able to tell your story to illustrate the problems in buying tools.

Heck, a good story has quite a bit of value so you got your money's worth!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just realized where I've seen the handle to this plane before. It's the handle to The 10 1/4 from Stanley. The one where the handles tilt. At least I think it is the bottom of it is concave. Anyways its not in good enough condition that anybody would want it but I don't know anybody else that knows anything about old tools so I thought I would tell this to everyone.

-Ryan C.
    Last edited by Ryan Cathey; 11-12-2006 at 7:18 PM.
    -Ryan C.

group shots of the things...He lives in Connecticut

Ryan,

Sounds as if you're speaking of Walt Quadratto of Brass City Tools. A real nice guy; quite knowledgeable about vintage tools as well. I have purchased quite a few items from him and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to recommend buying from him. His prices are more than fair, items accurately described, well packaged and received on time. In fact Walt is who I was alluding to in my earlier post about finding another casting for your plane. Give him a call {only your wallet will regret it}.

all of us have gotten burned...a good story has quite a bit of value so you got your money's worth!
    Guilty here as well.
    ~Dan

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey
    How much would you pay for a Type 11 Stanley 5 1/2C with a weld, incorrect tote, and a homemade lateral adjuster? ...I don't want to talk about it. The good news is it's my first V trademark tool and it has a good frog, yoke, adjusting wheel, cap iron, mildly short blade, and low knob! Any way I thought I would share my experience so everyone would remember to throughly check your tools before purchasing. I did get a nice little Type 2 MF number 9 though!

-Ryan C.
    What Dave Anderson said....

#3 small smoother $45-75
    I guess I should have picked up the #3 I saw at a garage sale the other day for 15.00

I already have one and didnt think they brought that much

Talking

Yes thats who it was. I don't come by such good deals often so I'm a little greedy and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag on such a great dealer !

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.