Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on Upgrading Leigh Dovetail Jig

? on Upgrading Leigh Dovetail Jig

I went back to the estate sale today and picked up a Leigh D1258 dovetail jig for $40. Based on the leigh site, I can upgrade to the new D4 level. Has anyone done this and is it worthwhile? Do the parts on the D1258 and D4 interchange? What is the cheapest source of the dovetail bit set? Thanks.

P.S. I also bought about 280 bft of Walnut, 200 bft of Mahogany (most of it nearly 4" thick), 50 bft of 13" Pine, 50 bft of White Ash and miscellaneous planks of Cherry, Maple and other mystery woods. Total cost was $400.

Great buys on both the jig and the wood!

I can't help with your upgrade questions, but do have some advice on the bit set - mainly, DON'T BUY IT.

Unless you're heavily into building some pretty big, or pretty small stuff, you won't need the whole set. The basic bits (1/2" dovetail & 5/16") will do most of the work. I bought the CMT set about ten years ago, and there are still probably four of the bits that still have the protective coating on them. I have bought a couple replacement half inch bits, though.

My advice is to save the cost of the set, and buy the individual bits as you need them.

Gilbert.. I have the same Leigh as you bought and last year upgraded it with some of the components from a D4. The only thing I did not upgrade was the knobs to hold the wood in place. The newer model uses a cam set-up. I bought my parts directly from Leigh and they were very helpful. I am guessing but I believe I paid in the $75/ 100 dollar range. I also paid close to $500 for the Jig about 15 to 20 years ago. Recently I used spray adhesive and attached 320 grit sandpaper to the clamping surfaces of the jig and found that you do not have problems with the wood moving while routing. I am using 1/4 inch router bits but the larger metric sizes apparently produce a lot less chatter with the larger shank. Something I will do down the road. It is an excellent jig and it will produce consistent dovetails all day long. Congrats on such a good buy.
    Brian

Excellent "steal" at that sale! While mine was not an upgrade, I love it. I've noticed a number of folks like Brian who have upgraded from an earlier model over the years. It's nice that Leigh offers that opportunity.

As to the bits, I do have a set and although I haven't used all of them, I've used more than I originally intended. One suggestion, however...go with 8mm shank bits rather than 1/4" shank cutters. Dovetailing is tough on the shanks due to the nature of the cuts and the extra metal in the 8mm shank cutters makes a real difference in stiffness. Most routers can be equipped with either an 8mm collet or a sleeve that fits in your 1/2" collet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the input. I'll just buy a couple of bits aand buy the rest as I need them.

I was cleaning up the jig today and noticed that one of the spring clips was broken. Since I haven't had a chance to use it, what are they for?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    ...I was cleaning up the jig today and noticed that one of the spring clips was broken. Since I haven't had a chance to use it, what are they for?
    Spring clips? You mean the springs that are under the clamping bars? They're to hold the clamps open until you screw (older models) or lever clamp (D4 & newer) them down on the stock.

I have done the "full" upgrade on my Leigh. I high recommend the cam clamps. They are expensive, but worth it IMO. As for the remainder, I could take it or leave it. It is easier to read the markings on are easier to read, but I can't say it is worth the price. The alignment guides are a bit better, but you still have to be careful with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    Spring clips? You mean the springs that are under the clamping bars? They're to hold the clamps open until you screw (older models) or lever clamp (D4 & newer) them down on the stock.
    Jim
    I looked at the manual and the spring clips are apparently tp hold the "first cut bar" in. It does not appear that the newer models have these. How is the cut bar held in place?
    Travis
    Mine does not have the alignment guides that I beleive are on the top clamp bar posts. Is that where they go?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    Jim
    I looked at the manual and the spring clips are apparently tp hold the "first cut bar" in. It does not appear that the newer models have these. How is the cut bar held in place?
    Travis
    Mine does not have the alignment guides that I beleive are on the top clamp bar posts. Is that where they go?
    Mine is a D-3 model, with upgraded (D-4) clamps.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'first cut bar.' Is it the ~1/4 " square bar that's used to cut sliding dovetails?

As for alignment guides under the posts for the top clamp, there should be one under each guide post - front and top. You need them to align the edge of the workpiece accurately. Leigh sells the D-4 style alignment guides as an upgrade - about $25.00 - if yours are missing.

There are two clamp bars on the unit one on top, one on the side. On the left side of each there should be either a plastic small straight edge (old style) or a metal thingy (forgive the technical jargon) to hold the boards straight. Then there is a washer and nut, then a spring, then the clamp bars. The springs hold the clamp bars up to make it easier to get the boards in and out.

You have to have the alignment thingys (metal or plastic) to keep the boards aligned top and bottom to each other. The Leigh site has the manual for the D4 which is almost exactly the same as the D1258 so check the pictures out and it should make sense to you.

Jim
    Yes, on my unit, there is a spring that is supposed to hold the 1/4" bar. It's the same bar you are talking about, the crosscut fence. I emailed Leigh about the availability of the spring. How is the bar held on the newer models? Can anyone take a pic of their unit? The new parts list doesn't show how it is held.

Travis,
    After researching on the net, my unit had some plastic "units" that apparently have broken off. I will order the new style side stops.

Hi Gilbert,

I don't know how the picture police missed it but no pics it didn't happen!

The people at Leigh will be very helpful. I didn't up grade the clamps or the indicators to the new style. With the old cast scales there is no paralax as the arrow is right beside the measurement. The new side guides make life much easier to align the boards.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi Gilbert,

I don't know how the picture police missed it but no pics it didn't happen!

The people at Leigh will be very helpful. I didn't up grade the clamps or the indicators to the new style. With the old cast scales there is no paralax as the arrow is right beside the measurement. The new side guides make life much easier to align the boards.
    I'm surprised no one had brought it up until now. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow.

What a haul

Pics ..............pics......................pics!

Here's are the pics from my weekend haul.

Leigh D1258-24 jig. Just put first coat on bar clamps. Decal taped up. Not bad for $40.

16' trailer ready to unload

Some of the Honduras Mahogany planks. Not visable is the 280 bft of Walnut behind the pile.

Some more H. Mahogany
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 11-14-2006 at 8:28 PM.