Thread: How do you fill in a knot hole (pic)?

How do you fill in a knot hole (pic)?

Good evening.

Has anyone had experience filling in a knot hole? I have a few in some cherry that I would prefer to not work around, but rather include in the piece. Is there a way to fill these in, perhaps with an epoxy or other resin type substance?

An example is below. For reference, the knot below is about 3/8" x 3/8".

If anyone has experience on this and would be willing to relate it, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

The only thing I have used for a knot hole like this is Acraglas with brown dye. Being a gunsmith, that is what I had available when I started woodworking. But there are more econcomical epoxies. You might also consider Bondo auto body filler. You would need to find a dye for it, but that really is no more problem than finding a local art shop. I've read of drilling out the hole with a hole saw and filling with a wooden plug then coloring. Don't hesitate to try your hand at a bit of "art" with a fine tip brush after the knot is in. You can likely add things like grain pretty easily.

David, who usually takes the easy(?) way and cuts it out

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hoeting
    Good evening.

Has anyone had experience filling in a knot hole? I have a few in some cherry that I would prefer to not work around, but rather include in the piece. Is there a way to fill these in, perhaps with an epoxy or other resin type substance?

An example is below. For reference, the knot below is about 3/8" x 3/8".

If anyone has experience on this and would be willing to relate it, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Mark

I fill knots like that all the time with 5-minute epoxy mixed with fine sawdust from the filter of my sanding vac. Try not to get too much air in the mix. It self levels and can be trimmed flush with a sharp chisel, or just sanded off.
    JR

I like to use tea from a cheapo teabag. Pack it tightly and thin to medium superglue. It matches cherry pretty well. I guess epoxy would work well too. just have to mix it first. Of course I have only used this in turning but I like the color of tea compared to coffee which alot of folks use as well.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I used 5- minute epoxy to fill the knot holes. Right after I mixed the epoxy I spray some black paint into the mix. After I fill the knot and sand smooth I have a nice black knot that isn't going to fall out or leave a hole. On most pieces made of cherry or walnut it looks good.

Bob

Resin with black-to-brown coloration is what I'd likely use in this situation. You can use powdered colors, or like some folks, ground coffee, tea or other natural materials of appropriate color. I don't like using CA for this purpose, especially on cherry, as I use BLO as my first finishing step and CA will sometimes soak into the area around the defect being repaired and reflect on the oil absorbtion. The resin (epoxy) doesn't tend to do that in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

7. I use an epoxy. Sometimes a 5 min. sometimes a 30 or 60 min. as they are a little thinner after mixing and will fill all the nooks and crannies. I do not add sawdust or any dye or paint of any sort, the epoxy will look fine all by itself.

Darrin

Blog Entries
    Epoxy but, be sure it is the clear stuff. Some epoxies are milky in appearance once mixed and will foul your desire to color or leave "invisible". I use "invisible" loosely here, you know what I mean, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You could drill out the knot with a 3/8 forstner and make a bung from another knot (that is flush with the board, no hole) and glue it in as a dutchman or all the way through. At only 3/8" itwould be hard to notice unless it is for a top or something.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow
    You could drill out the knot with a 3/8 forstner and make a bung from another knot (that is flush with the board, no hole) and glue it in as a dutchman or all the way through. At only 3/8" itwould be hard to notice unless it is for a top or something.
    I do like Ben said with a forstner bit and a hole saw that will match the bit.
    Bob