Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath Cabinet design

Bath Cabinet design

As part of my list for my client is a bath cabinet. Paduk top and bottom and shedua doors and carcas sides.

Question....stainless steel base ....or ...wood base

Here are the 2 versions..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My ho

I like the heavier look of the cabinet using wood legs. Since the top is solid, I think the top could use a little more implied weight on the bottom. Seems to be a better balance.

The steel legs appear light, not necessarily less strong, just light.

Joe

I suspect that the answer depends upon what else is going to be in the space and what material tie-in works best. I like either version, although I agree with Joe that "as drawn", the wood base appears sturdier.

'Must be bath cabinetry day...I just started working on one, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would agree--based solely on the drawing I prefer the wood base. But if the steel dimension were increased slightly, I'd go with whatever works best with the rest of the room.

Mark,
    Naturally the rest of the room will help dictate what works best, but for some reason you have thrown in the SS option. IMO if you use the stainless legs you may consider adding some decorative stainless into the wood piece itself, inlay or onlay, either horizontal or vertical and SS pulls. I used some brushed aluminum with brushed SS to make a piece work one time because I could cut the aluminum on the radial arm saw for clean joints. Good luck.
    Shaz

Oh yea, one other design detail I like on the wood one is the stretcher place up high. It provides better rhythmn.

the stainless stretcher looks lost down there.

joe

Since almost all my designs are some sort of mixed media I've got to vote for the SS. Maybe with some sort of SS hardware on the cabinet that would pull it together.

Perry

Mark,
    When I looked at the picture I imagined a third, wall-hung cabinet on the left to complete the progression from the well grounded wooden base to the lighter feeling stainless and then to no base at all. I also like the stretchers up high (better towel rack)

Perry and Ted:

What would Krenov do?

just having some fun.....

Joe

After seeing your work in real life, Mark, I think I like the stainless legs better. I've been thinking about this cabinet since you posted it on Sunday. I agree the stretcher on the stainless legs is too low. How about a wooden shelf of the same dark wood as the top and bottom of the cabinet? I did a quickie drawing of it and I think it works. You can't see it in this view but I've drawn it so that the shelf would float with a slight gap between legs and shelf. The cabinet could also appear to float if the legs were bent somewhat like the legs on your guest bed. I didn't draw the legs that--it was a thought I had while typing.

BTW, thanks for a nice visit. I really enjoyed myself. Hope we didn't spend too much time on SU.

Dave,
    I really like the floating leg idea and I will design that in. The lower shelf does not work with my concept which is to have the base hold the cabinet as if it were a precious object and not engage in the conversation, so to speak...Thanks! and for the SU class.

Mark, I then agree that the shelf wouldn't work. With that in mind, I'd like to see no stretcher at all but I think the cabinet would be pretty wobbly on skinny legs. Hmmm......

Here is my non Sketch Up drawing...I know I should be using SU
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave,
    my barstools are real thin and they support me!

I won't give you a hard time about not using it. I kind of like your drawings as they are. I like that base better. What do you have in mind for the stainless? Square stock or round? (I'm guessing square.)