Thread: Monster Miter Saw

Monster Miter Saw

I went to the local flea market and found the mother of all miter saws. It's a Disston made from 1896 to 1917 with an unknown miter machine. The blade is 30" long by 6" deep with 10 tpi. Price was $15.
    I traded some things for a Martin's spokeshave and a Stanley #80 scraper. Went on to buy a Consolidated Tool Works breast drill with an unknown 1 15/16 bit for $10. Found some Jennings bits for 50 cents each and a nice unmarked saw vice for $3. I paid about $6 apiece for the chisels. One 1/2 Witherby, a 1/8 Samson, 3/4 Jaxon, 1/4 Japan. All told I spent about $60.
    Now to clean, sharpen and (the fun part) use everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your miter box appears to be a Millers Falls or perhaps a Stanley....can't tell....from what is exposed in the pic. Stanley often used Disston saws in their boxes. Look on the right side of the casting for a name plate.
    Last edited by Roger Bell; 11-12-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks Roger. I've looked all over it and cant find so much as a number on it. I looked at that infamous auction site and from the corrugations on the back I think it is a Millers Falls.

4. Hi George,

It may well have been made by Goodell-Pratt. It's identical to a few I have had. GP made them for other companies, these were often without the brass tag below the front upright.

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id75.html

Scroll down to the miter boxes.

Take care, Mike

The Miller Falls baox I have only had a sticker on the back of it that has deteriorated and fallen off.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Thank you for the link Mike. It is definitely a Goodell-Pratt, with a Disston D-4 saw. I made a few test cuts and they seem to be dead on. The box is missing the stop bar but I think I can make one now that I know what it looks like.
    A friend offered me $50 for it but I turned him down. He has a lot of crown molding to install in his old farmhouse. I told him he could borrow it but I won't sell it.