Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirel feeder

Squirel feeder

I've built several of these over the years and finally built one for ourselves. The squirel has to crall through one of the side holes to get to the seeds. Took 1 day to find. Believe it was called squirrel under glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Now if that were a chipmunk, and the door slammed shut, I'd order several dozen!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

that's cool.....our squirels need a challenge....cheeky buggers

That is waaaay cool. I will keep the pic in mind for my new house. A small question though...... Do the squirrels ever have a problem getting out?

Scott,
    I use a small live trap baited with black sun flower seeds. It usually takes me about ten minutes to trap one after is see it. I watch until it leaves the area, then set the baited trap. Over the past 3 years I have trapped over 60 of them. I take them for a ride and let them go in the forest.
    DG Baker

Nice

I like your work. I'm too lazy to build something like that so I feed my squirrels with my Remington 870 squirrel feeder. .

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge
    I like your work. I'm too lazy to build something like that so I feed my squirrels with my Remington 870 squirrel feeder. .

Small Shot right, so they go into a black cauldron and make a fine stew?

Doesn't the glass shatter when you shoot them?
    My squirrel (tree rat) controller is a .22

Hi David, Looks good. I would like to trap a few of the more troublesome squirrels we have around here and relocate them. I wonder if the birds would try to get food out of the squirrel feeder since the squirrels are always trying to find ways to defeat our squirrel proof feeders.
    take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    Hi David, Looks good. I would like to trap a few of the more troublesome squirrels we have around here and relocate them. I wonder if the birds would try to get food out of the squirrel feeder since the squirrels are always trying to find ways to defeat our squirrel proof feeders.
    take care,
    John

Trapping and relocating "a few" will do nothing to ameliorate a nusiance problem. Their numbers are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Doesn't the glass shatter when you shoot them?
    My squirrel (tree rat) controller is a .22
    I live in the city limits and for some reason they frown on discharging firearms; otherwise I'd camp out with my arsenal and target shoot/reduce the varmit population. You should see the destruction the chipmunks have caused to my retaining walls around my property.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    I live in the city limits and for some reason they frown on discharging firearms; otherwise I'd camp out with my arsenal and target shoot/reduce the varmit population. You should see the destruction the chipmunks have caused to my retaining walls around my property.
    RWS 34 .177 pellet gun with a 2-7 X 40 scope works wonders. Just a little FFTTHH sound.

Looks good David.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    Yes, Scott, city living poses problems. That's a big reason I choose a semi-rural site to live in. But, I did live in city limits for 14 years. A good air rifle that shoots pellets can be useful. But only if no one is watching. They are accurate for what you describe and silent. Fifty dollars will get you an accurate rifle. I have used the Havahart style traps successfully for squirrels but, as I said, their numbers are endless.

Here you are feeding them and I'm trying my best to keep them away from the bird feeder. If I had to feed the squirrels I'd need a second job to buy the food, there are so many running around our area.

Looks like that feeder would at least slow them down though, having to go through the hole. My latest bird feeder is spring-loaded and drops to cover the holes from the weight of a squirrel, and so far has worked well.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Here you are feeding them and I'm trying my best to keep them away from the bird feeder. If I had to feed the squirrels I'd need a second job to buy the food, there are so many running around our area.

Looks like that feeder would at least slow them down though, having to go through the hole. My latest bird feeder is spring-loaded and drops to cover the holes from the weight of a squirrel, and so far has worked well.
    Can you give us more information on your squirrel-proof bird feeder? My wife has many bird feeders out. Squirrels destroy most of them quickly.
    I can't shoot the squirrels while they are on the feeders (usually) because it would ruin the feeder and the background isn't always safe to shoot at.