Thread: Large Jarrah wane edge bowl

Large Jarrah wane edge bowl

The bowl is almost finished, so thought I would put it on here to "show off", and to ask for hints on fixing up the base on it.

300x100(12"x5"), sanded to 1000g, and then finished with shellwax cream.

Long story short, I had to try 6 different chucking methods to turn this bowl, main problem was because I had to rough-turn it(green), it is all dry now though. As you can see thier is a small pip on the base. Does anyone have any remedies? And yes I know it does'nt look good, I've only turned 2 other wane-edges before, can't get them as good as this one

Anyway, all constructive crtiticism is accepted

Joash

Signature line was edited to remove direct links - TOS Violation
    Ken Salisbury
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 11-13-2006 at 4:20 AM.

Remount it reversed between centers (with padding to protect the finished inside), turn the inside of the foot down to a mere stub, un-mount and carve off the stub with a chisel or carving gouge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

large jarrah

Hi!
    Dont know if you have them there, but I use a Dremel brand grinder with a sanding boot after removing all I can otherwise. It is used here in the states for miniature work of all kinds.It fits nicely in your hand.Hopefully helpful, Max

use a jam chuck

Like Jim said , if you use a jam chuck covered with leather ( plain , un dyed ) and the tail stock you should be able to get 95% of the stub , check out Dave Hout at DIY.com he show how to make , I got a 3" to 1.5 in black plastic pipe reducer and covered the tapered side and the 1.5 in rim with leather and works good and fits perfict on my G3 chuck, also have a 6 in to 3 in reduction for doing same with platter , larger bowl etc on SLOW speed and moderate preasure from the tail stock.
    John 3:16

Joash,

In the couple of NEs I've turned I turned that nub off. I use a donut chuck I made out of scrap plywood. I take a couple of pieces of 2" styrofoam insulation. Using doubleside tape I attach the styrofoam to the base of the donut chuck and place it on the lathe. I turn the styrofoam insulation into a cylinder/cone. I use however many pieces to build a cylinder/cone that is long enough to hold the bowl 1" or so from the base. I then place the bowl on the cylinder and capture it with the donut portion of the chuck. I then turn away the nub or the tenon. That is how I remove the tenon/nub from all my bowls except only on Natural Edged (NEs) do I use the styrofoam.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....