Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Mineral Oil/Butcher Block Oil?

Where to buy Mineral Oil/Butcher Block Oil?

Where do you folks get your Butcher Block Oil (mineral oil)?

My local HD only (sometimes) carries it and when I can find it, it's $3 -$4 per 8 oz. bottle. That's $48 to $64 per gallon. Surely mineral oil can't be that expensive. Where can I find a similar product cheaper in say, gallon size?

Thanks very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I get mine at Wal-Mart. Haven't looked for gallons.

I bought my last bottle at Wooodcraft. But I have heard most pharmacies sell Mineral Oil (look near the laxatives, I believe).

I'm also looking for beeswax to mix with the mineral oil. I saw a one-pound block at Michael's Craft Store for THIRTEEN dollars!! That seems absurd. I think I can get it on-line for $6 plus shipping. There must be a more reasonable outlet.

Matt

I've bought butcher block oil at Rockler.

The drug store. In the laxitive isle. Cheap. Same stuff, although slightly thicker. You can heat it a little if you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use walnut oil (available at Whole Foods and many other stores). Store the bottle in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid, but a thin layer on the cutting board dries quickly.

I buy mineral oil at the grocery store, in the first aid aisle. I don't pay attention to the cost, since I use it infrequently - one bottle lasts for years.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 11-13-2006 at 8:07 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Ya know, I forgot the other uses for mineral oil, silly me. (What a bonehead).

Thanks very much.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Walmart I go.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Guyrd
    I'm also looking for beeswax to mix with the mineral oil. I saw a one-pound block at Michael's Craft Store for THIRTEEN dollars!! That seems absurd. I think I can get it on-line for $6 plus shipping. There must be a more reasonable outlet.

Matt
    I bought beeswax on eBAy - I got 5 pounds for about $13 including shipping (don't remember exactly but it was about that). I shared it with my woodworking friends and still have a pound or more left.

Search for beeswax blocks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can get it in the supermarket as well!

I always get it at the pharmacy... I think it's with the upset stomach stuff.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Mike H...thanks for the beeswax tip. That is a heck of a lot cheaper than the prices I have come across. I'll be giving eBay a look!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Guyrd
    I bought my last bottle at Wooodcraft. But I have heard most pharmacies sell Mineral Oil (look near the laxatives, I believe).

Matt
    For bees wax, contact your county extension agent. Ask for the names of the local beekeepers organization. Then contact some of the beekeepers and ask for wax. Most consider it a nusiance byproduct of harvesting honey. Oftentimes they give it away, free. It will be 'dirty' and must be cleaned. Just melt over low heat and skim the crud from the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    For bees wax, contact your county extension agent. Ask for the names of the local beekeepers organization. Then contact some of the beekeepers and ask for wax. Most consider it a nusiance byproduct of harvesting honey. Oftentimes they give it away, free. It will be 'dirty' and must be cleaned. Just melt over low heat and skim the crud from the surface.
    As a former beekeeper (50+ hives), I disagree with you. Cappings and rendered wax can be traded for foundation, sold as candle wax, or candles. Slum-gum (that old ugly wax and foundation) can be melted in a solar wax melter and also turned into CASH!

Please be very careful heating bees wax. Use a double-boiler. It becomes highly flamable when heated.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery