Thread: Finishes on pens

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hunter
    yea --
    I am eagerly waiting--
    I'm even bringing some things for you to see, Frank
    I just hope I won't ask too many questions and drive you nuts LOL
    see you later
    --Chris
    Yer comin' to the Ozarks? That's fine. Bring yer rifle, it's deer season.
    I'm already nuts, yer too late.

Pen Finishes

Hi Chris,

I use EEE and Shellawax on my bowls, and on many of my wood pens. I've done about 500 pens in the past year and a half, some wood, some corian, some acrylic and some antler. I do a super glue finish on the antler pens only. On corian and acrylic I wet sand from 240 grit to 12000 grit micromesh pads. I prefer natural finish for wood but if I want to get a glossy finish I will use Cocobolo or Lignum Vitae or Bocote as they seem to polish up better than other woods I've done. If I want a truly glossy pen I just go acrylic or corian. Hope this helps, just my humble opinion though.

You might try going to www.penturners.org and see what you get there.

Good Luck

Mike

Christopher you will find as many different ways of doing a CA finish as you will penturners who use CA for finish. I have found the fumes to be very irritating. I personally do not use the CA finish due to the fumes, if you adopt this for a finish make sure that you have proper ventilation and maybe even a respirator.

Depending on the amount of time that you are willing to spend on each item that you are producing there are other finishes available that will produce as nice if not a nicer finish. As listed above there is Enduro, Lacquer, Friction polishes, and Waxes of different types. I use a finish that is a lot less commonly used. I use plexiglass that has been dissolved in acetone. The initial setup is a little longer than other purchased finishes but the application is quicker than all the above listed with the exception of friction polish.

While all of these are fine finishes they all have there draw backs and you have to do a little expirementation to find what works best for you given the amount of time you have and are willing to spend on each project.

I dip my pens in deft laquer. I do this 3 times. Then very lightly sand with 600 grit then put a dab of eee wax on it and i have a glass clear finish that makes the wood look like 3d. Deft is tough, doesnt yellow and impervious to skin oil and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I dip my pens in deft laquer. I do this 3 times. Then very lightly sand with 600 grit then put a dab of eee wax on it and i have a glass clear finish that makes the wood look like 3d. Deft is tough, doesnt yellow and impervious to skin oil and alcohol.
    Did you check the date of the post? You're over 14 late to the party!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Did you check the date of the post? You're over 14 late to the party!
    Nah, i bet he sent it on time--but the flat rate box deliveries are a little slow these days!! (just kidding)

I do appreciate the reminder to try dipping pen blanks in lacquer.
    earl