Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on table saw

Talking Need advice on table saw

First I would like to say Thanks for allowing me to join your comunity. My name Is Tim Wagner, and I live in Lakewood, West of Cleveland Oh. I am an automechaninc by trade. I love photography and woodworking (thanks to my dear grandfather may he RIP). Also I am into gardening, and bird watching, and I also like to feed the squirrels. on to my questions.

After deciding to build a workshop out of the basement, I decided I would buy the Table saw first. So far I have chosen the Crafstman 10" Pro w/extensions. you can veiw it here. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

My other choice was the Rigid TS at Home Depot, but wasn't sure if I could add extensions, Also after some reading, I find that the Craftsman 3HP rating was at the lower end of what you want in a table saw. I can't really afford a cabinate saw at the currant 2100-2400 doller price tags I am seeing.

Do you think the sears model is a good choice? If there are any other models you think I should consider, please let me know.

Also does a left tilt arbor mean the blade itself tilts to the left? I am pretty sure thats what I want.

Thanks again for having me aboard, and Happy Hollidays to All!

I don't have any experience with the sears saw but for that price I would look at the Grizzly 1023, one of the hybrid saws, or one of the high end contractor saws.

Tim,

There are many options in the price range of the Sears saw.

Actually I am surprised at the Sears saw. This looks like a true cabinet saw. Not sure who is manufactoring this.

You should look at grizzly.com at their 1023 line of saws. These will be very compariable to the sears saw.

IMHO 3hp is fine in a cabinet saw. If you have room in your shop you will never regret the wider extension on the right.

I am sure many more responses will provide further advice, but my best advise is to listen and learn alot before you buy.

You might also want to look on www.craigslist.com under tools for used saws. You really have to be diligent on craigs list. Good deals do show up, but are never there long. I have seen many used unisaws in the Atlanta area, some at very good prices. A lot of these older saws are all american made and excellent pieces of equipments.

So good luck and enjoy the journey....
    Bartee Lamar

I belive Jet has theirs on sale for about $150/$200 higher than Sears and it is a true cabinet saw with extensions.

In answer your other question, if the saw is a left tilt, it means the blade tilts to the left.

Roger

Check out this thread...

Lots of good info

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ood+powermatic
    Bartee Lamar

Tim, you have a lot more options than Sears and Home Depot. Like Tom said, take a good look at the Grizzly offerings. Also, Hartville Tool, not too far from you, has a big sale event going on next week with discounts on Delta and General equipment.

To answer some of your questions, any TS can be fitted with side and outfeed extensions, and yes, left tilt means the blade tilts to the left.

Welcome and enjoy,
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hergenrader
    I belive Jet has theirs on sale for about $150/$200 higher than Sears and it is a true cabinet saw with extensions.
    FWIW, the Sears model is a "true cabinet saw."

Bridgewood

For what it's worth...........This is going to be my choice when I upgrade my current contractors saw. Best trunion out there........

Just my opinion

http://www.wilkemachinery.com/defaul...skudatarq=2907

Hi Tim and welcome to SMC!

AFAIK, the Sears cab saw is made by Orion which is an associated business with the upstart Steel City line. Orion was formed by some former Delta employees when Pentair bought Delta several years ago.

I think you're on the right track looking at a full cabinet saw if you can swing it.....not much advantage in going with a contractor saw with the motor hanging out the back. There are alot of proven choices in the price range of the Sears cabinet saw. The saw might be fine, but I've heard very little about it. I'm a happy owner of an Orion made 22124 hybrid, but I don't see a significant advantage in price or features with the Sears cab saw over the competition. The Griz 1023, Jet, Uni, GI, Bridgewood, Shop Fox, Steel City and others can be found in the $1K-$1700 price range .....I'd definitely add them to the research list.

If you don't have 220v available, or don't want to spend ~$1K on a saw, consider a hybrid over a conventional contractor saw. They range in price from ~$400 to ~$1200.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress....
    Last edited by scott spencer; 11-14-2006 at 8:51 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Welcome to the Creek, Tim. It is a fine place to hang out, learn and contribute.

Table saw questions always bring lots of ideas and you've received some good ones already.

If you are like me and want instant gratification then off to the Depot or Sears you go and you're home with a new saw. But, the advise to look at Craig's List for an older macnine is worthy of consideration. One place you might also poke around is the Old Woodworking Machines (OWWM.org) forum. These folks buy, restore, collect and sell old woodworking machines like some folks do cars. A wanted to buy post there might yield a nicely restored Unisaw in your neighborhood.

Enjoy the search process and we will look forward to pics of your new saw and the projects you make with it.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, using a 1948 Boice-Crane Tablesaw.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

What is shipping going to run you? Because if shipping is comparable, I would consider getting one of the rebuilt Delta Unisaws that are on special over at Redmond machinary.
    How many HP is the Craftsman really, I hate that "developed hp" baloney!

Develop more HP, eat a diaretic, then your HP goes up in a rush to the bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson
    How many HP is the Craftsman really, I hate that "developed hp" baloney!
    According to the link, 3 real HP, 6 "maximum developed" HP.

Wow! Thanks for all the warm welcome(s). I can't wait to get a saw, but I will definatley take my time choosing. I knew I just didn't want to haul off and just buy. I have been looking for days to find a nice site to get some good advice and looks like I found it.

Geting a new saw (or used) will sure beat using crooked 2X4's for a guide for my circular saw. I hesitate to buy the first thing i see, or use price as a buying guide because I bought a sliding compound miter saw that cost 150 dollers off ebay. when I use it the arm flexes while pulling down on it, so doesn't give me a accurate cut.

I will definatly check out the refurbed items. one thing I noticed is that, remembering back to my grandfathers saw (don't remember what kind) it had a knob on the fence that was gear driven, and you could turn it to slide the fence. now the two saws I have seen so far don't have this feature.

I have always been mechanicly inclined, but the further I get down the road in my years, the more I feel the need to become more DIY in everything I do, Is this the way it happens for everyone?

thanks for all the replies, and happy wood working to all.

Tim,
    Are you also looking at used saws? I know someone in Parma, OH that rebuilds Delta Unisaws. I got an email from him last week & he had a 3hp Unisaw with 52" fence for sale. He does a good job on the saws. I bought one from him. If you are interested, PM me with your email address & I will get his contact info to you.

I have the Ridgid TS3650 and I like it !! I want a Sawstop someday !

Ben
    Still trying not to Take Life so Seriously !!