Thread: Freud SD608 Dado Set

Freud SD608 Dado Set

Would like some feedback on the Freud "Dial-A-Width" Stacked Dado Set. I have used the Freud SD508 Dado Set and am happy with it but a dialable set appeals to me. As always appreciate any feedback.
    Jerry Todd
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Jerry,

I don't have the Freud, but I had a dial adjustable set made by Sears and its was really convenient to dial in the correct width. Since their teeth overlap from cutter to cutter, an adjustable dado has to have a way to keep the cuters in alignment as you change the width. The Sears used a post which went through all three cutters and that was the problem. The post was only about an inch and a half from the teeth and really limited the capacity of the set (you lose more height depending on the thickness of your insert). I actually ruined mine by forgetting this fact. I tried to raise the blade too high and the post contacted the bottom of the table saw insert. The post came loose and that was it.
    Dennis

The SD608 is a reincarnation of the dial adjustable dado Freud withdrew a couple of years ago. It is a standard SD508 stacked dado set with an adjustable hub on one side blade. The dial has detents that allow the hub to click into position at .004" increments with an adjustable range of 3/32. This adjustable hub negates the need for shims. Other than that it is every bit as good a dado as their highly rated SD508 dado.

They withdrew the dado a couple of years ago when they changed factories where they were made. Freud focused on getting their regular dado production up to speed and have now been able to manufacture this dado on their new line.

If you would like the convenience of not having to mess with shims, then this dado is the answer.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 10-31-2003 at 11:31 AM.
    Howie.........