Thread: Concept to drawings to construction

Concept to drawings to construction

A finely detailed cabinet with knife hinges,,,dovetailed drawers ...bookmatched doors and panels...requires preparation.

Mortising for hinges can only be done before glue up , for example.

The back must be designed to square the cabinet and still allow for movement

The componets must be detailed to accept the interior components

Drawings and a careful sequence of construction is very important...especially if it is a first time cabinet of this type...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 11-14-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Interesting topic-

After the last few projects that I've designed (previously I worked totally by purchased plans), I started out with a sketch (good ol' paper and pencil) and rough dimensions. I didn't think the process through to conclusion and found I probably needed to if for no other reason than to save time!

Just wondering how you work from your own design? Do you make a sketch or work from your 'mind's eye'? How about a step-by-step procedure that you've written down? How often do you change your sequence?

Mark, from the position of trying to design, construct and finish from stratch, I agree completely that a plan is needed if nothing more than a note on a napkin.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Mark,
    Did you do this on S/U?

Greg

I think that time spent at the beginning of a project (like you just outlined) is a good investment, especially when the project has some level of complexity which is new to you. I'm pretty much a beginner at woodworking so mostly everything is new to me and I find sketches and 3D model drawings help me work through the various parts and how they will be assembled etc. I've done this on two different projects and it really does help at the construction phase because the mind isn't in that constant state of confusion trying to work out all the details on the fly, everything has already been worked through and its just a matter of carrying it out. You have given me some additional steps in the process to use on my new projects, like sequence of construction.

Like anything there is a learning curve to get aquainted with any of the drawing packages to the point where they help rather than frustrate but even some hand sketches will do the job.

Regards,
    Wayne

The drawings were made in Turbo cad. They could have been hand sketches and they would have served the same purpose.....working things out before you start! I will be building a couple of these cabinets soon as tutorials and even though I have made many similar cabinets ...I just know these types of shop drawing really allow me to work out the details and prepare. I also like starting with sharp chisels and planes....once I get started I made be too focused to stop and sharpen,....I do it before. A project can be made simple with good drawings,and a step by step approach as you go. I usually start with a pencil sketch...or several and then as I go I use Cad to feel the proportions and scale... I can think out problems this way before they occur. When things go well , you can focus on doing your best work instead of solving problems you just made because you didn't make the sketch to work it out...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"