Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How handle sapwood in Walnut??

How handle sapwood in Walnut??

I'm in the process of gluing up panels for a blanket chest for my daughter. I'm realizing that the back (inside) side of the panels will show when the chest is open and there is some sapwood there. Is there a relatively simple way to blend the sapwood into the darker natural Walnut color. I plan to BLO then pad on several coiats of shellac on the "good" walnut. (Possibly P&L #38 on the top). Any suggestions?? thanks. I guess I want the inside to look presentable even tho my daughter will probably end up using it as a toy box temporarily for our new grandaughter.
    Jerry

I've used Van Dyke crystals (essentially ground up walnut hulls) dissolved in water. I put it on with a foam brush, and let it soak in. Depending on how 'white' the sap wood is, it make take several applications.

Gives a pretty good camo, I think.

Back in 85 I made a blanket chest for our daughter from mis matched walnut with a fair amount of sapwood, I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever made. It has aged very well. I have also used cerry sap wood when making other pieces of furniture and have recieved several blue ribbons and best of shows. Just my preference

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    I've used Van Dyke crystals (essentially ground up walnut hulls) dissolved in water. I put it on with a foam brush, and let it soak in. Depending on how 'white' the sap wood is, it make take several applications.

Gives a pretty good camo, I think.
    Thanks Jim Where can I get/find and buy those crystals?? Good idea...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Reid
    Back in 85 I made a blanket chest for our daughter from mis matched walnut with a fair amount of sapwood, I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever made. It has aged very well. I have also used cerry sap wood when making other pieces of furniture and have recieved several blue ribbons and best of shows. Just my preference

Earl
    Earl: how did you finish those pieces? No special attention to the sapwood?? By any chance, do you have pictures?? Thanks, Earl
    Jerry

Jerry,
    Sam Maloof actually looks for walnut with sap wood in it, he says it add charcter to the pieces he makes. He just finishes with his secret sauce. (1/3 BLO,1/3 Tung Oil. 1/3 wipe on poly).

Jeff Jewitt in Fine WoodWorking

Wrote an article in the spring of 05. In essence he said to stain the sapwood with a dye made from brown mahogany TransTint. Then dye the whole piece with a dye made from golden Brown TransTint. That's how I finished this piece:http://www.eyman.org/furniture/21_secretary_closed.htm. If you push the "next" button you'll find other views. With a big piece like this one is bound to encounter some sapwood, but I was pleased to see it all blend in. If you can't find the article, I'll look it up and give you more detailed instructions- such as proportions, etc.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Jerry, on the inside of the chest, I think it is fine for the sap wood to appear au natural. I wouldn't go through the trouble of doing anything.

Jerry, I'll look up some pics later. I have used Deft (semi gloss) on almost every thing Since mid 50s.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    Wrote an article in the spring of 05. In essence he said to stain the sapwood with a dye made from brown mahogany TransTint. Then dye the whole piece with a dye made from golden Brown TransTint. That's how I finished this piece:http://www.eyman.org/furniture/21_secretary_closed.htm. If you push the "next" button you'll find other views. With a big piece like this one is bound to encounter some sapwood, but I was pleased to see it all blend in. If you can't find the article, I'll look it up and give you more detailed instructions- such as proportions, etc.
    Carl That is a spectacular piece!! Beautifully done. I had seen in before in an earlier post. Your finish also turned out very well. I see no evidence of sapwood...All my sapwood will be on the inside or back (it won't show) but looking for a simple way to blend together anyway. Thanks, Carl for sharing...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas
    Jerry, on the inside of the chest, I think it is fine for the sap wood to appear au natural. I wouldn't go through the trouble of doing anything.
    That has crossed my mind... Still pondering the options. Haven't even done the R/S or the panels just planing and glueups..Thanks Lars
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    Thanks Jim Where can I get/find and buy those crystals?? Good idea...
    I think I got mine from either Rocklers or Woodworkers' Supply. I think Jeff Jewitt also carries them. Maybe Woodcraft, also.

You can dye it. Do remember that walnut lightens over time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The plot thickens...

Now I have more urgency to blend in the sapwood: Today, having completed all the rails and stiles, I routed the panels. OOPs, on 1st panel, in my haste, I routed it with good face up. I realized my mistake after 2 passes.The other panels are fine... So the Sapwood I was planing to hide on the interior of the chest is now proudly faced out. Good wood just a fair amt of sapwood. Decided not to mill and glue another panel. So now I go forth in earnest to adjust/blend the walnut. I'll keep your ideas in mind as I call woodcraft etc and get some supplies. Any other suggs??
    Jerry

lightening

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You can dye it. Do remember that walnut lightens over time...
    Does walnut lighten over time even when it has been finished? (e.g. BLO, shellac, etc) ?

Thanks,
    Matt