Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Gauge Advice

Miter Gauge Advice

I have been doing research on miter gauges. I plan to buy a new one for my Rigid table saw, but I am undecided between the Incra 1000se, Incra 3000se and the Kreg precision miter gauge system.

I you own any o these, what is your experience in using them? Which is the easiest to set and use but is also vedry accurate?

Thanks in advance.
    J. Hultman

Good Mornin,

I have an aftermarket miter gage and a Dubby sled. I use my sled 95% of the time. Very accurate and light and has a stop. It makes great picture frames. Lately the only time I use my miter gage is when I attatch a box joint fixture to it. Oh, did I tell you I love my Dubby?
    Gary K.

I have the Incra Miter 3000. I think it is great. True repeatability with miters (angles and lengths). I have had a few occasions where this was such a help. It is a little pricey but the quality is first rate and it looks good too. Love that gold anodized look.

Joe,

I have the 1000se and am pleased. It is accurate and cuts angles very well. I shimmed the aluminum face with a piece of painters tape to get it perpendicular to the table.....it was a tad over 90*.

The stops work great and has the micro adj to get perfect cuts when needed. You can also add a wood facing to it for a backer board on CC's.

Only downfall - when you extend the guage out to the left and PAST the edge of your saw table, the jig will "tilt" some because the extension rail is smaller than the main aluminum facing. But this is probably true for the 3000se as well. It's just that all longer pieces will have this issue unless you build a wide sled.....or you could go the Jessem Miter Slide $$$$ ??

I have seen the Kreg Miter guage and it looks real good too.....I think it's "more substantial" than the Incra.

Blog Entries
    I started with an Incra v27 when that was what was available. I have since added the Incra fence, etc. as comes with the 3000, etc. I of course don't have the superfine increments on the newer gauges but, the thing has been a joy to work with. I was worried that the little nylon slot-fitter-better jobbers would wear quickly. I've had the gauge for years and had to rotate to a new surface only once.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will go with the Incra 1000se.

I have the 1000SE myself and I like it very much.

Corey

I also have the 1000SE and love it.

I have the INCRA 2000 (whichever one is the middle priced), and it has just a teensy bit of slop in the miter slot that won't adjust out. I carried to the Woodcraft boys to see if they could adjust it out, and not only could they not do it either, THEIRS was the same way. It's only a very teensy bit...but enough to be noticeable... and irritating when you expect precision... which you do when you buy one of to begin with. I've had much better results with the Jointech SmartMiter sled.

KC

I bought the Incra 1000 several years ago. I did not see the need for the added angle stops on the 3000, and still feel that I made the right choice.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I have the 1000se and find it excellent for the hobby wwer (probably a little light for a production shop). It's good enough that I'm considering getting their less expensive (v27?) one for my bandsaw. I only use it now for operations that won't work on my Jointech SmartMiter.
    Jay St. Peter

Blog Entries
    Hi Jay,

Not to highjack the thread but I got my v27 for about $40. Woodcraft puts it on sale a couple times a year if you can watch and wait for the sale.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Incra V27 and in some respects it is better than the more expensive ones. Cheaper too. I would go with the V27 and a Left Dubby.

Get Jerry Cole's tape on the Dubby and on the table saw. Well worth the money. He is really neat to watch and you CAN DO what he does. No slight of hand.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I have the 1000se and find it excellent for the hobby wwer (probably a little light for a production shop). It's good enough that I'm considering getting their less expensive (v27?) one for my bandsaw. I only use it now for operations that won't work on my Jointech SmartMiter.
    I asked for the V27 last year for Christmas to replace the POS miter gauge that came with my MM16. For bandsaw use, the thing has been great. I've checked the angle settings against machinists angled setup blocks and it's right on the money. I doubt you'd find one better for BS use.
    Use the fence Luke

Funny thing is...I own the Incra 1000 series. It's nice. But honestly I rarely use it. The OEM miter gage that came with my saw is more or less set permanently at 90 degrees and has a simple disposable MDF auxiliary fence screwed to it. I tend to pull it out most often 'cause it's compact and convenient. When I cut 45 degree angles (for framing or edging or whatever...) I use a shop-built sled.

That all said, the Incra is fine quality and I have no intention to be rid of it...I just need to remember I have it more often!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...