Thread: Today I returned my Ridged radial saw.

Today I returned my Ridged radial saw.

On 8/12/03 I purchased the Ridged 12" sliding miter saw.
    Yesterday I went to make sure it was true and could not do it.
    The saw would lean downward more than 1/16" when you
    pull the saw toward you. I called Ridged service and told them
    of my problem, the only question was if I had the saw less than
    90 days. Since I did not, they told me to bring the saw back to
    H.D. for another one. I returned the saw with no box, dust bag,
    clamp only the reciept. Store manager wanted to know if
    I wanted another Ridged, my reply was "only if I have to".
    Anyway I got the DeWalt 12" sliding miter saw.

When I purchased the ridged saw I recieved the MSUV rebate,
    which I do not have to return $200.00. I also recieved a rebait
    from DeWalt for a 2" brad nailer$120.00, which I will send
    out tomorrow. I also brought in my 12" Freud Diablo
    blade (lifetime warrenty), told them it was not cutting
    the way it used to andthey gave me a new one of those too.

Anyway I took the Dewalt out of the box and tested to see
    how true it was. Dead on is all I can say. The only sad part
    about H.D. today was when I got home I recieve my 10% off
    vouchers in the mail today.

Steve

DeWalt DW708 accuracy, stability

I'll be curious to see what you think of your DeWalt as you use it. One thing I noticed about the Ridgid SCMS is how huge it is compared to others. Also, the curious arrangement of the sliding arms- diagonally arranged.

I've read reports by some saying that there was play in the arm in the DW, and that the Hitachi or Makita was a much better saw. The Makita LS1212 is about $640 + shipping. I think that the new DW708's must be better than the old ones. Maybe these reports were based on the earlier versions of the saw.

From my limited handling in the store, the DeWalt seemed perfectly stable to me and every bit as well made as the hitachis and makitas.

Also, I may be able to get one at the 10% < competitor price since Costco has these for $559.

I noticed that Lowes now offers that free nailer deal as well as HD.

AtThe Rate You're Going Steve, HD

is going to be working for you!

Try bringing in your DeWalt invoice AND the 10% off info and see if they'll help wi that.

I bought the Delta 2-speed planer at HD's price, saw it cheaper at another store & went back WITHOUT the box, just the invoice and they price-matched/beat the price by the 10%, so you never know...

Hope this helps. Howard

P.S. - Congratulations on your new saw.
    Howard Rosenberg

[QUOTE=Lynn Kasdorf]I'll be curious to see what you think of your DeWalt as you use it. One thing I noticed about the Ridgid SCMS is how huge it is compared to others. Also, the curious arrangement of the sliding arms- diagonally arranged.

I've read reports by some saying that there was play in the arm in the DW, and that the Hitachi or Makita was a much better saw. The Makita LS1212 is about $640 + shipping. I think that the new DW708's must be better than the old ones. Maybe these reports were based on the earlier versions of the saw.

Lynn, yes there were some of the DW708's that got out of the factory with some slight looseness in the sliding bars. There is a set screw in the casting that adjusts the play out of it. I have a friend that bought one three years ago and He always complained about it. During one of our yearly woodworking show trips to KC, the dewalt people there showed him how to adjust it. He's a happy camper now. I purchased mine about two years ago, and it came in fine right out of the box. Love this saw, would buy it again. Also have the 12" non slider that I take to job sites. I usually don't take the DW708 to the job site, as it is lots heavier, and do not want to get it banged up in the back of the truck. Steve

Thanks for the heads up on the price at cosco. I went to H.D.
    and they deducted the $40.00 plus an additional 10% off the $559.00.
    In total I saved around $95.00 bucks. Saw ended up costing me 503.99 plus tax.

I also used the saw to cut some 12" crown molding (natural). It cut beutifully. I am very happy with the change. Customer likes the way
    it looks too.

Steve

DW708 is calling me...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mendes
    Thanks for the heads up on the price at cosco. I went to H.D.
    and they deducted the $40.00 plus an additional 10% off the $559.00.
    In total I saved around $95.00 bucks. Saw ended up costing me 503.99 plus tax.

I also used the saw to cut some 12" crown molding (natural). It cut beutifully. I am very happy with the change. Customer likes the way
    it looks too.

Steve
    That's great that you were able to get that deal. My local HD would price match Costco, but wouldn't go for the extra 10% because it is a membership store. Combine that with the free air nailer, and it is a heck of a deal. Lowes may do the match, and they now have the free nailer deal just like HD.

I've been thinking I'd hold out for the Makita or Hitachi or maybe Bosch 12" slider, but these would end up being $150-$200 more that the 708, assuming I could get that price match deal, and that is not counting the free nailer. I wonder if these other brands are THAT much better?

Whatever saw I get, I figure I'd drop another $80 or whatever and get a laserkerf for it.

I was hoping to be able to make a decision afer going to a wood show and playing with all the brands, but the next show near me is Jan 2, and the air nailer rebate thing ends 12/31! Arggh! Similarly, Amazon has a free battery drill rebate on the Makita 12" slider that is good til 12/31.

Well, after I sell my big RAS, I'll get more serious.